Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    The only issue I have come across between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office is the 64-bit Office 2010 wouldn't let me keep the 32-bit version of Office FrontPage 2003. Office 2010 is the first to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit.
    Yes, I saw that same thing. But I never use FrontPage or anything fancy like that - only Word and Excel since my accident. Knowing which Ofc Version may be needed is a good thing to know - thank you.
    Actually, I'm more worried about Adobe Acrobat than Office now that I think the 'Office' problem may be solved - I use that to correct the English in scanned documents for English students. I don't think these companies give discounts for age or handicaps, so I have decided that if I really want to accomplish what I believe will be helpful, I must go into debt but still be capable of paying the VISA (!). It's a good thing to live more simply - it's something we people that have had so much all our lives need to learn. So, I must do this to stay useful.
    Really appreciate your help!

Come to think of it, I still don't know how to reformat that darn drive! Maybe I'll just wait until I get Win7 and the 'Dummies' book and that will do the trick. Living in Costa Rica has definitely reduced my ability to find reliable computer people. Different culture and my brain is not processing the language as well as I had hoped. But, I am ordering some additional books that I think will help - I really want to learn the language, so it's bound to happen.

Thanks, Berton!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Berton,
    Replied to this earlier, but maybe in the wrong place or without being signed in - I don't know.
    But thanks for that info. Fortunately, I don't use that application in Office - now I use only Word and Excel. Hopefully, that will save me!
    Thanks,
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I no longer have Linux. I am working in Win7 Enterprise and need to use that blank HD that was previously formatted by my technician for EXT4, for my current back ups in NTFS format.
    Does that explain what I need better?
    Thank you,
    Julia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia Henson View Post
    ...Come to think of it, I still don't know how to reformat that darn drive!...
    With the USB drive you want to format as NTFS connected to the computer:

Click Start then right-click "Computer" then left-click on "Manage". In the left panel under "Storage" click "Disk Management". You should see your USB drive listed ("EXT4" or "Unallocated Space").

Right-click in the area where it says "EXT4" or "Unallocated Space" then left-click on "Format". Type a name in the "Volume label" field, change the "File system" to NTFS (if not already NTFS), then click "OK". Should only take a minute or two.

EDIT: if it says "unallocated space" then you will need to right-click in that area then left-click on "Create new simple volume" (or similar) to create a new partition. It should ask you for "Volume label" and should already be set on NTFS.

Now when you go into "Computer" you should see that USB drive listed, and you should be able to use it as normal.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-07-27 at 00:22.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Julia Henson (2014-07-29)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you again for a clear answer to my question. Now, I only have to figure out how to show it 'solved'! I have copied your answer so that I can follow it exactly. If I have any further questions because my brain won't follow instructions, I'll post another question. Probably be another couple days, though - I have finally solved a problem for a student - took me all day yesterday and will have to be out all day tomorrow picking up the Teacher's Guide for her class.

You didn't really need - or have the time - to read all that, did you?
    But thanks for the clear instructions.
    Julia

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Julia,

To mark a thread as solved. 1.) Display the thread. 2.) Use the "Thread Tools" dropdown menu above the first post on the page. 3.) Click on "Mark this thread as solved".

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Julia Henson (2014-07-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia Henson View Post
    You didn't really need - or have the time - to read all that, did you?...
    Seen similar so many times before. Computers... what could possibly go wrong?
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought I tried that - but I never can tell what I see when I look at something. I will do this with all my threads, since they should be closed.

I thank you for your time.
    Julia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12