New Lounger
    Thanks

Movie Maker rendering issues

Hello all, I am hopeful some other Windows folks may know the answer to this.

I recently rebuilt my desktop with 8.1, update 1 and have been trying to render videos on that machine with some very strange results. The rendered video appears to be flashing, basically the going from dim to bright every second or two. Prior to the rebuild (the SSD failed) it was running Win7 Ultimate on the exact same hardware except for a replacement SSD. The machine has a second gen i5, Intel desktop motherboard, 16GB of RAM, 256G Samsung SSD and a graphics card I can't recall at the moment (it's at home and I'm not).

When it was Win 7, I had no problems with Movie Maker 2012, the output looked and played fine. Since the rebuild it will not render .MOV source files that are watchable, the player seems irrelevant, they look the same in all programs I've tried. It does fine on the .MP4 files from my phone. I strongly suspect a codec problem but so far I have been unable to find any description of a similar problem.

Today I brought a file to work that I recorded last night, one that didn't render correctly at home and tried it on my work machine, which is also running Win 8.1, update 1. It has more CPU and RAM but the OS version is the same and the video rendered just fine. I've removed Movie Maker (essentials) on my home desktop, reinstalled and no change. I installed a trial version of another video editing program, no trouble, it worked as expected. I tried transcoding from .MOV to MP4 in HandBrake, also works as expected, it's only Movie Maker that is producing the bad output.

I've tried various output settings and they seem to make no difference to the problem, all produce a quite awful output.

I'm am hopeful someone has encountered this and sorted out a fix. Often I'm the person answering how to fix stuff but so far this has stifled me.

Thanks,

mike

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Remove and reinstall MM 2012?
    It may be a codec problem but I don't know which. Remove and reinstall should replace all of it? This may be faster than fighting with it.
    It also may not fix it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    Remove and reinstall MM 2012?
    It may be a codec problem but I don't know which. Remove and reinstall should replace all of it? This may be faster than fighting with it.
    It also may not fix it.
    I am 99% sure it's a codec problem but no luck in finding it. Unfortunately a remove and re-install didn't change the behavior. I made sure all the directories were gone, no difference. I looked through the registry tying to find something that appeared relevant, no dice. Latest of all drivers etc...

I decided my time was more valuable than a little cash and purchased a copy of Cyberlink Power Director. It works perfectly and has more features than I can possibly use and the amount of time I won't spend trying to get Movie Maker working right is worth more than the $45 I paid for it. Thanks for your reply.

Mike