Thanks

Categories in Outlook 2010 for an MS Exchange accout

I know that in theory Exchange and IMAP accounts don't use categories. But, if I assign categories to my Exchange email by way of rules, will they "stick" when the account is synced?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Why not just try it and see???

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry, they certainly appear to stay in place. So then the only part of the process is that when the category(s) applied is not on the current Master Category list, it needs "editing" to add that category to the Master List in order to make use of colors.

So them now, here is the next part of my challenge: When I used IMAP, I did it via two data stores, one for the mail, and the one for the contacts, calendars, etc. Is this same option available with Exchange? If so, then the Views, Contacts, and Categories would be in this separate file. That way this much smaller data file would be backed up locally, and the mail remain updated via the (online) exchange file.

But are categories, views, and contacts all able to be separated and saved in a unique local file like I did with IMAP? I had thought so, and set up the separate file, but I got totally screwed up somehow. It would be fabulous if that were theoretically possible, but I already almost totally screwed up my Exchange setup once, and would not want to go through that again! I can't even seem to completely understand the Exchange data file naming procedure, let alone the pointing to a specific data file like I was able to do and control with IMAP.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-07-19 at 17:06.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    I have / did try it, and it seems to work fine. I've been having a lot of problems with the (1and1) Microsoft Exchange server though, so the final verdict is still out.

Chuck