Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading to MSXML6

currently using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Secunia PSI indicates that I should upgrade MSXL4 to MSXL6, Visited Microsoft for further information and it appears that I should. Can only find a developer page which is inappropriate for me. Seems to be a task I should be very careful doing. Have downloaded the installer package for MSXL6 -64bit but before I click would appreciate any advice.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Tuppence,

PSI also informed me of this upgrade on my Win-7 HP Laptop. I performed the installation and PSI still said I needed to update even after a Re-boot and re-scan!
    I finally just right clicked it and told it not to bother me any more. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have Secunia advising an update of Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 but when I click on it in Secunia it takes me to a download page where there are a choice of several files to download, probably the same place as tuppence is describing. How do I know which file t5o choose, if any? Should I ignore it? How did you decide which file to download RetiredGeek? (I have W7 Home Premium 64 bit).

Thanks
    Sylviesinc,

Windows 32 Bit - msxml6.msi
    Windows 64 Bit - msxml6_x64.msi

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

sylviesinc (2014-07-19)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks kind sir, now done.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks all for your replies. downloaded and installed MSXML6-x64.msi. it installed MSXML6 parser and SDK. I shall "quite while I am ahead. The SDK I definately don't need but the Parser could come in useful.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also been told by PSI in the last couple of days that I should upgrade to MSXML 6.x - but I am currently running 4.30.2117.0 on a 2009 32-bit Vista machine. Is it safe to take Secunia's advice on this, or should I leave well alone?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just have to say that even though I have downloaded it, Secunia is still telling me that it needs to be updated!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try running Windows Update. It should be definitive for general use MSXML.

Secunia could be reporting on an MSXML version that is included in a product which requires that specific MSXML version.

Joe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

sylviesinc (2014-07-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I'll just ignore it as I'll probably muck something up. If and when Windows Update wants me to install it, I will!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not an expert that's a fact I muddle along as it were.
    sylviesinc: even it you download and install MSXML6 Secunia will still tell you it needs updating. the trigger there is an out of date dll. solution is to go to it right click and click ignore.
    JoeP517: I have had MSXMl updates from windows update in the past but for some reason only known to Microsoft they appear to have stopped.
    JDO: create a restore point and go for it. Be careful you have the appropriate update though. the update MSXML6 puts the update within MSXML4, they are compatible.

that appears to be it

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tuppence For This Useful Post:

sylviesinc (2014-07-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    @tuppence,

Windows Update will only show updates to products installed separately. If the outdated version of MSXML6 was included as part of another product and not installed separately then Windows Update will not show updates for it.

Joe

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

tuppence (2014-07-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks tuppence, yes I'm aware that there's an outdated file there and I could probably just delete it however, there's an awful lot of other stuff in the folder Secunia is showing me and I'm not confident enough to know what I'm doing, so I'll just leave it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the whole story.

msxml4 is a package that software vendors have used. The other choices were msxml3 and msxml6. (Go Microsoft!). 3 and 6 are distributed with windows and maintained. 4 was distributed as part of the software package that used it.

Microsoft has shipped some updates to 4 over the years. If you have a new enough version, it got updated to the latest version - really old stuff has to be updated manually. For example, Quicken 2014 will install msxml4 from 2003 if there isn't a version on your machine!

Recently, Microsoft announced end of all support for msxml4. No more updates. Time will tell if they hold to this if a serious security exposure is found.

There is nothing an end user can do about this - its the software vendors who need to move off of 4 onto 6. Until then, ignoring the Secunia warning and hoping for the best is all you can do.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood View Post
    Here's the whole story.

For example, Quicken 2014 will install msxml4 from 2003 if there isn't a version on your machine!

Recently, Microsoft announced end of all support for msxml4. No more updates. Time will tell if they hold to this if a serious security exposure is found.

There is nothing an end user can do about this - its the software vendors who need to move off of 4 onto 6. Until then, ignoring the Secunia warning and hoping for the best is all you can do.
    I have just been through this with Quicken. You CAN update the 2003 version of msxml4 to SP3 (a 2009 or 2010 file, I believe and the last update to version 4) via the Microsoft website and Quicken will continue to work fine (at least my 2012 Quicken Deluxe does). All it did so far as I could see was to update the dll (in the sysWOW64 folder of my 64-bit machine) and place a folder in Program Files which contained only an rtf copy of the licence which I promptly deleted.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bryash For This Useful Post:

J.M (2014-07-24)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast