Silver Lounger
    Thanks

AdwCleaner/Bleepingcomputer.com infected ?

Does anyone else find any problems when trying to download AdwCleaner from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...leaner/dl/125/

I have Norton 360 blocking and removing it when I click on Run with the warning that it is dangerous and contains Trojan.Gen.SMH and a Windows pop up saying that it can't find a path - would include a snip of that but for some reason when I try to upload an image, it just hangs.

Thanks
    Symantec = scaremongers, can't be bothered to do a real breakdown and settle for some gen/malware until enough people complain to them about it. Most people who know the difference wouldn't touch Symantec with a bargepole anyway - so some things will stay marked as malware for a very long time.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f...80b1/analysis/

When you see gen(eric), (x)cloud, heur(istic), just translate them all as guesswork, especially when it comes to low-level security/cleanup software.

I'm not saying it's completely safe, it has a history of making false positive assumptions itself, but I'd choose it ahead of a Symantec product.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I experienced this same issue while trying to remove Astromenda from a friends computer. It instantly deleted AdwCleaner. I had to go in to Norton 360 and flag the file as safe and then restore it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Does anyone else find any problems when trying to download AdwCleaner from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...leaner/dl/125/

I have Norton 360 blocking and removing it when I click on Run with the warning that it is dangerous and contains Trojan.Gen.SMH and a Windows pop up saying that it can't find a path - would include a snip of that but for some reason when I try to upload an image, it just hangs.
    No, I successfully downloaded an updated version today, but I did run into difficulty with downloading from the author's site.
    IE/Defender flags it as questionable, although I know it's not.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Scaremongering, false positives or not - that doesn't explain the Windows pop up about not finding a specific path and I'd get the pop up before Norton decided whether it was safe or not.

I've never had any problems downloading AdwCleaner previously.

Norton wouldn't let it anywhere near the computer this time and didn't get the pop up this time, but I think that's the path that the Windows pop up says it cannot find.

FlADW.JPG

I also had problems when trying JRT as a test download but was able to download JRT from another non bleepingcomputer site.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-02 at 17:25.

Thanks
    Yeah, I get this...
    Untitled.jpg
    I don't know anything about "specific path" you mention.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had that before Clint and not just with ADW but the box at the bottom that pops up to give you the progress of the download even said that it was no longer available (or something), or that it had been removed.

Expand the snip and you'll see the path I'm referring to in the right pane.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-02 at 17:34.

Thanks
    Windows not finding the path to a saved file? Look at the 360 screenshot, it was intercepted before it was completely downloaded or saved to the allocated folder, the file type is .partial (Removed) and it's probably siphoned off and held in a temp or quarantine folder where Windows is denied access to it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Windows not finding the path to a saved file? Look at the 360 screenshot, it was intercepted before it was completely downloaded or saved to the allocated folder, the file type is .partial (Removed) and it's probably siphoned off and held in a temp or quarantine folder where Windows is denied access to it.
    I'd thought that this time around also, as I didn't get the Windows pop up and I'm not sure what Norton's details were previously when it did pop up - but I was getting the pop up while Norton was still checking to see if it was safe and I've never had problems downloading ADW before.

As I've already said, I tried the link for JRT from the same site from a different boot and Norton blocked that as well, but I was able to download/run it from http://thisisudax.org/ so it isn't the program that Norton is objecting to, but the bleepingcomputer.com site.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-03 at 08:17.

Thanks
    Like I said before - guesswork. The Bleeping site contains many names of malware - that's all it takes - names - not the actual code, only names as in references to.

A few months ago, a game I play had an update which included a new map, I don't recall the actual name of the map now but it happened to be the name given to a piece of malware a few years ago. All the Norton-equipped gamers had the update flagged as a virus.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, whatever it is - Norton is not letting it in and I have no intention of changing any rules as it's never snagged this site before.

Thanks
    Well, if you and others affected by this FP don't report it to Symantec/Bleeping, it'll stay that way. Symantec's been pulling this stunt for years, isn't it wonderful that you're paying for their 'protection'

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the trouble shooter on Norton and it found an installation problem that it fixed - although no details.

Before I decided to dig out Symantec's phone number, gave ADW another go from bleepingcomputer.com and it downloaded without any issues.

That may have been it but I'd sooner have a false positive any day than it let something in.

I think I've only ever seen one Norton user ask for help with an infection - unlike the many I've seen using the likes of AVG, Avast, Avira or MSE and it has kept me safe for approx. the last 5 years - and given the heavily discounted price it's available for these days, it's not a large price to pay for peace of mind.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-03 at 19:15.