Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

[Solved] Windows Update problem

Hi again guys, still running Windows 7 SP1. I have a notification icon saying that there are updates ready to install, but when I click the icon or go to the control panel and click windows update, I get a window saying that "the page failed to load". I'm also showing an icon for my virus protection (McAfee security suite from AT&T) that says it needs to be updated, but when I click that one, it says that it couldn't get the update, however, when I open a window to Mcafee, it tells me that everything is up to date. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shadow35; 2014-07-20 at 16:45.

Thanks
    What happens when you click on the "check for updates" link in the McAfee window?

You might want to download and run MalwareBytes (malwarebytes.org) to make sure you haven't picked up something that McAfee missed.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are unable to download MBAM in normal mode then you probably have picked up an infection, so try the download in Safe Mode with Networking.

To see if it's Windows Installer etc. related go Control Panel - System and Security/Find and fix problems - System and Security/Fixit problems with Windows Update and/or run this MS Fixit http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Pr...ninstall/en-gb

Sometimes this can be caused by a 3rd party program, so try the WUs again in a clean boot - but if it's McAfee itself that is blocking, a clean boot won't isolate it so you would have to disable it, but a safer option would be to uninstall it correctly and use MSE to eliminate McAfee.

Maybe best to do this in Safe Mode with Networking.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got MalwareBytes and it ran without finding any problems. When I click the "check for updates" link in McAfee it searches for a few seconds then says that the download failed. I've been running McAfee for a couple of years and have never had this problem before.

I did run the auto technician routine and it said that it found and fixed two problems but nothing has changed.

I also get the message that my system isn't supported by MS Fix-it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, things are now better. More and more things were going wrong. It all started when I updated Java due to a notice that the latest version was available. I wish that I could just get rid of Java completely, unfortunately some of my favorite sites like POGO use java in their games. Fortunately I had a Macrium Reflect full system backup only 5 days old and now everything works again - lol.

Many thanks everyone for the advice.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never known Java to cause this problem but occasionally a buggy or otherwise update for McAfee has.

Which version of Java are you using - v7 or the new v8 ?

Anyway, glad that you've managed to sort it and thanks for the update.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Version 7.0_55 of Java. It wants me to update to the latest version which I assume is V8 and It's now constantly bugging me to update - LOL

Now that all the windows updates and the McAfee updates have installed and seem to be working alright, I may try letting Java update to the latest version and see if the problems happen again. Now that I know I have a working backup I'm not that worried any more - LOL again.

I've never had this type of problem with Java either, but with every update I do have a few days of tweaking things before all my sites will work reliably again.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2014-07-19 at 17:37.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Java v7 latest update is u65 - I think v8 is still a Beta for developers and until it has all of the bugs ironed out, it won't appear as the recommended download.

There's a bit about that on the Java site as to why v8 isn't the recommended version just yet.

You could still have both versions installed, but software vendors may not have added its compatibility to their software yet so it's probably best to just stick with v7 for now.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You must be right Sudo. The update installed version u65 and automatically removed the u55 version. Now I'm just waiting to see if things start going wrong again. LOL I'll let ya know what happens.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow35 View Post
    You must be right Sudo. The update installed version u65 and automatically removed the u55 version. Now I'm just waiting to see if things start going wrong again. LOL I'll let ya know what happens.
    Thanks.

If you have the updater enabled for notifications, wonder why it didn't prompt you to update to the last version which was u60 ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-19 at 18:34.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dunno about that Sudo, I never saw a notice for version u60. Anywho, it's now the next day and everything is still going good. I really don't know what happened yesterday but the updates are working and I still don't have any of the same problems. Ah well, guess it was probably just a screw up in one of the downloads.

All at the same time, Adobe Flash Player wanted to update, Java wanted to update, Windows wanted SEVERAL updates, and iTunes wanted to update. Foolishly, I just told all of them to "go for it" LOL. From now on I'll let one at a time do it's thing and check the system before letting the next one go.

Also, many additional thanks to all you guys who convinced me to start keeping backups. Macrium Reflect free version does a great job. with my multi terabit system it takes about an hour and is well worth the time as it has saved my a$$ several times now. LOL

Have a great day my friend.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2014-07-20 at 08:57.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    We had u60 for a while before u65 finally came along.

As for whichever update caused the problem, I'd probably go for the iTunes one as I've seen a number of threads where iTunes has been the culprit for this, that or the other.

Probably best to run the Windows updates before all of the others and leave iTunes to last when the updates come around again.

Hope you have a great day as well Shadow.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

shadow35 (2014-07-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One more quick thing. Could one of you Super Loungers either mark this as 'solved' or tell me how to do it? I've done it before but seem to have forgotten how. I tried the thread tools, but there isn't anything pertaining to that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow35 View Post
    One more quick thing. Could one of you Super Loungers either mark this as 'solved' or tell me how to do it? I've done it before but seem to have forgotten how. I tried the thread tools, but there isn't anything pertaining to that.
    I don't come into that category but I would have expected it to be in Thread Tools - perhaps that is something else that was lost during the Lounge revamp ?

And Thanks for the Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No problems Sudo. Ya are probably right about the revamp. I'm almost sure that I used the "thread tools" before. Oh well, if it was removed than it must have been decided that we didn't need to do it. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast