New Lounger
    Thanks

Brother printer goes offline

I have a Brother MFC-845CW printer in a wi-fi network. The printer works well with the three computers on my network. The problem I am having that started about a month ago is when I turn off a computer and start it back up the printer goes offline and I can't get it to print. The only way I can get it to print is to remove it in the control panel and then reinstall it. It will work fine until either a computer or the printer is turned off. When they are restarted the computer comes back offline. I would greatly appreciate any help any can give.

Thanks
    Jim Badge

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jim,

One possibility is the printer is getting a new IP address. Do you turn off your router? What I did when I had a Brother Wireless laser printer was to assign the Printer's wireless adapter to an IP address outside of the Dynamic Pool used by the DHCP server in the router thus the router would never assign the printer's address to another device. If you still have problems give Brother's Support line a call I've had very good luck with them. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I need a little clarity, the ip address assigned to my printer now is 192.198.1.2_2. Given this address what would be an address outside the Dynamic Pool used by the DHCP server in the router?
    Jim Badge

Thanks
    Jim,

That depends on your router settings.
    You need to get into your router software or use the ipconfig /all command to determine what addresses are safe. If you are getting single digits in the last part of the IP assigned to your computer then you probably need to change the router settings to accomplish this.
    Router.JPG
    As you can see above I have my router setup to start assigning IPs at 100 so I can assign any value less than that as a STATIC IP for my printer etc.
    PrinterPort.JPG
    HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Retired,

Its taken me a while to find all the information I needed to try what you recommended but I finally located it all and worked through setting it up like you recommended. It seems like it is working like it should.

Thank You very much
    Jim

Thanks
    Jim,

Glad you got it sorted!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs