2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP Pavilion dm1 slower than the first PC.

I have an HP Pavilion dm1 laptop running Win 8.1 that is not so much slow as almost stopped. I click on an icon and set it aside. Maybe in a couple of minutes (or ten) I will find that it has reacted and done what I wanted (if IT wanted). I feel like I'm back in the '80s at 4.7 Khz.

Would I be ahead by wiping out win 8 and reverting to win 7 (I have an unused home license)
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd be looking to see why it has become a snail rather than going back, unless you really don't like W8.
    First fire it up in safe mode and see if that brings some life. That may point to a software / driver issue.
    Second run Task Manager and see if the CPU use is high, more than 10%, then look for the offending program.
    Third, disconnect any external devices.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If it has been like this from new then it could be because of OEM pre-installed software and performing a clean boot should help to identify what is taking up resources.

StartUpLite is a program that can check your system for unnecessary Startup items that you will find in msconfig when performing the clean boot.

If you have picked up something nasty, then a scan with something like the free version of MBAM would be prudent and Process Explorer is a good program for showing what is running on your computer.

For Process Explorer click on Options and ensure the box for Verify Image Signature is checked then hover over VirusTotal.com to check its activation box.

The Signatures of the processes will be verified and then you should see a column for the Virus Total - they should all be blue but treat any red with a score >1/50 - 54 with suspicion.

Disk Cleanup and then a Defrag (if not using a SSD) after you have uninstalled any bloatware with a 3rd party Uninstaller will also help performance.

Windows Uninstall tends to leave a lot of residue.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-20 at 06:10.

Thanks
    Is this PC new? Try giving a call to the system manufacturer if it's still under warranty.

You can try installing PC Decrapifier to remove the bloatware.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    maligo, have you used PCD? Did it work for you?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I read about the program in one of Woody's books and decided to try it once on my bro's PC. It seemed to remove around 90% of the bloatware that came on his Dell. But the program seemed to take quite a long time (about 4 or 5 hrs IIRC) to finish its activities. The only stuff that wasn't totally uninstalled was Norton; I came across a feworphan folders in the Program Files directory. But for the most part, it seemed to be quite effective.

I would have tried it on my PC too, but it came pre-installed with Vista and Vista annoyed me to no end. So I just bought an XP CD on Amazon at the earliest and just reformatted the HD, erasing Vista and the bloatware with it.

Why Paul, didn't PCD work for you?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    As you'd recommended it I thought you may have experience - it's always good to share experience.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    As you'd recommended it I thought you may have experience - it's always good to share experience.

cheers, Paul
    I didn't realize this was a paid for program, but here's one review http://uninstaller-software-review.t...er-review.html

Administrator
    Thanks
    According to PC Decrapifier: The PC Decrapifier is here to help! It's a free tool for you to use that helps remove programs, unnecessary startup items and icons that can slow down your PC. Are you a PC technician or commercial user that wants to use the PC Decrapifier as a part of your business? Go ahead and try out the free personal version first. If it suits your needs, pick up a CHEAP commercial use subscription.

Joe

Thanks
    Hmm that review didn't speak too highly of the program. It did seem to work quite well for me. That's why I suggested it. As always, I guess YMMV.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As I'll try most things, I was going to give it a go but the Disclaimer on the Download page didn't inspire me with confidence, so gave it a miss.

I'll just take your word for it maligo.

Wonder if the OP is coming back to let us know how things went with the suggestions.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-21 at 14:36.