Thanks

Question Need a good app for file comparison

Hey guys I was hoping someone could provide me with a good app that I want to use to accomplish the following:

• Consider a folder A.
    • A is currently on an HDD.
    • A has many subfolders and their contents keep changing on an irregular basis.
    • Now, I want to make a copy of A to a pen drive.
    • I want to ensure that both the copies are kept in sync.
    • However, I want to ensure that ONLY the additions to A AND its subfolders are synced to the pen drive copy i.e. if I delete a folder in A, or delete a file in one of A's subfolders, I DON'T want that change reflected on the pen drive.
    • In other words, A and its subfolders on my HDD faces addition and deletion of files, but I want the pen drive version to reflect the additions ALONE.

Any utility that compares the files and subfolders of A on my HDD, with that of A on the pen drive and only copies the newly added files and/or modified files?

Hope I was clear and TIA.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want a one-click utility to just do the updates in one fell swoop, try Syncback Free. It's highly configurable, so you can do a backup (A->B or B->A) or synchronization (A<->B), and even pick and choose files to skip or ignore.

If you like to manually keep tabs on what's been changed in each location, try TreeComp. It will compare two trees and give you visual cues of which side (A or B) has files the other doesn't have, or which files are on both sides but are different. Buttons allow you to easily move newer files from one side to the other or delete unmatched files.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

KritzX (2014-07-21)

Thanks
    Maligo,

You can also give RoboCopy a look. It will do all you want but you have to setup the parameters. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks

Talking Thank You

dg1261 and RG Thanks for your replies.

I checked out all 3 programs and decided to go with TreeComp. The UI could use some work but the app's truly remarkable at what it does. I found it absolutely perfect! Unfortunately, I'm not exactly a pro on DOS, so I couldn't use Robocopy. Plus, there's a portable version of TreeComp, unlike SyncBack. I try avoiding installers as much as possible, so this turned out to be really beneficial to me. Once again thank you both for your amazing suggestions. Have a great day.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett