Thread: Gotta Love it

Thanks

Gotta Love it

Microsoft has Office webinars every Tuesday that last about 15 minutes or so. Quite informative. On occasion they will ask you to preregister. There is one listed for August 5, titled "Outlook.com: not your 90’s email" that sounds interesting. What really gets me though is that it asks you if you want to add it to your calendar........ Cool huh!!!! except that there is no choice for Outlook.com, and or WLM..... There is Outlook of course but it won't add to my Outlook RT calendar, there is Yahoo, ical, and of course Google....... WTH!... Come On Guys.......
    Maybe I'm just slow, but I'm really beginning to see a start something and not finish it pattern with Microsoft! This is the third instance for me in the past 6 months.....
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    If it allows you to add it to outlook, it also allows to add it to Outlook.com, most likely, if it produces an .ics file. You can import .ics files to the calendar in outlook.com without any issues, which likely will then synchronize with your phone and Outlook RT calendar.

I do this quite often and it works well.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    If it allows you to add it to outlook, it also allows to add it to Outlook.com, most likely, if it produces an .ics file. You can import .ics files to the calendar in outlook.com without any issues, which likely will then synchronize with your phone and Outlook RT calendar.

I do this quite often and it works well.
    Yup I've used those before, as well with Outlook. I also noticed that it didn't work like I was used to last year when I downloaded the Seahawks schedule.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Yup I've used those before, as well with Outlook. I also noticed that it didn't work like I was used to last year when I downloaded the Seahawks schedule.
    So, if you choose Outlook, do you get one such file or not?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Yes, I do get an .ics file. However it still would not let me open it to Outlook.com. Instead I got the no program associated box... Of course since I can't elect Outlook.com as my default email, basically I'm screwed.....That is unless I turn to this forum!

that said here is what I ended up doing. I copied the file from my desktop to a folder on my external hard drive and then from my tablet I was able to open the file. It pulled up my Outlook RT calendar and voila there it was.... I checked Outlook.com, and it now shows up in my secondary account calendar, but not my primary account calendar, which is the way it should. Even though that worked, to me it is a work around. If they are going to do an hour seminar on Outlook.com, one would think that one should be able to download the appointment directly to Outlook.com and not have to use a work around. What about those people that don' use an email client? I just don't think Microsoft thinks things through from a consumer point of view........
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    In outlook.com, you need to choose Calendar, then Import and you get this screen:

CaptureImportCalendarOutlook.JPG

It's really simple. Did you try this process?
    As I said, it works flawlessly and it is simple enough. Maybe the UI discoverability is not the best, but I never had issues importing things to Outlook.com. I actually prefer to import .ics files through Outlook.com rather than through Outlook.
    Rui
    -------
    R4