Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to close 'Program name already running' error message

I hope you can help me here (I am one of the hapless seeking help). I've search all over the Internet & on various forums trying to solve this problem for just over two months now. I'm losing my hair over this!

I am trying to completely uninstall an older, outdated version of a software program and then install the newest, updated version, but it seems not everything is getting uninstalled (specifically the .junique folder containing 2 LOCK files - which is mainly intended to prevent a user from running simultaneous instances of the same Java application). This folder is apparently preventing the newly installed version from executing properly. (The program requires Java to run.)

The software application does not appear in Add or Remove Programs because it is a stand alone (.exe) program that is sitting on my Desktop. I've killed the process using the Task Manager, but when I try to open the newer version, it shows "[Program name] already running" & will not open. But it is NOT in the Task Manager at that point! No matter how many times I delete the previous version & install the new version, this same thing happens.

I have used RevoUninstaller to uninstall Java (& all the remnants bits it left on my computer), but still no luck. (Btw, RevoUninstaller does not see this software application so I cannot uninstall it using RevoUninstaller.)

Thanks in advance. Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated!

P.S. The software developers say out of the thousands of others using the software, the problem is only happening on my computer.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you able to remove the folder containing the lock files? Check the folder permissions to ensure you are able to delete them, or start Windows in Safe mode and them delete them. This post has details on removing "in use" files.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for a quick reply Paul.

I have deleted the Junique folder each time, but every time I try to open the software application, the Junique folder re-installs with the current time stamp. So it is obviously attached to the application (or at least Java in some way since I never installed it). I will try deleting via Safe mode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

Followed the instructions to delete the locked files in the link you referred me too. I have full permissions for the Junique folder, but when I tried to delete the locked files using the CMD prompt, I got "access denied." I decided to try FileAssassin first over Unlocker because Unlocker wants to install those stupid toolbars, & I've had problems getting rid of them in the past (even when you say "No").

FA did not work. I next tried Unlocker. It did not work either! That Junique folder is stubborn & I'm guessing that it may be the culprit that is preventing me from opening the updated version of the software. This is VERY FRUSTRATING!!!
    Last edited by M0nr0e; 2014-07-21 at 15:59. Reason: Tried a 2nd method

Thanks
    Have you searched the registry for the name of the troublesome folder?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren,

I just checked the registry for the .junique folder with the 2 lock files. There is no evidence of it at all in the registry. I went back & used the CMD prompt by right clicking the folder. I tried to delete it, & now (instead of "access denied"), it says: "The system cannot find the file specified." Even though I'm looking right at the folder & files!

The file names within the .junique folder are:
    03cfa2e27.lock
    global.lock
    Last edited by M0nr0e; 2014-07-21 at 19:04. Reason: Added file names

Thanks
    What is the program in question?
    What does the program's author say about cleanly uninstalling?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    What is the program in question?
    What does the program's author say about cleanly uninstalling?
    Clint,

The program (.exe) is called Lead Kahuna & is a lead scraper (it grabs contact & additional info about businesses from Google, PPC, deal sites, Facebook, etc). I've had it for over a year & the upgrades (which happen every month or 2) had been going fine until moving from version 2.0 to any version after that (they are now at v.2.08). The developers took a look & say it is my problem because it is only happening on my computer ...even though the folder is only opening when I open their software.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is probably not helpful at this point, but have you used msconfig to check the 'autorun' list? These are the things that automatically run whenever you boot up windows. That could be why the folder keeps reinstalling itself.

Thanks
    I see you here, you should also make mention of your issue here too,
    especially if the upgrade is new. If anything, it may alert others to a potential issue.

You obviously have something on your system that is "remembering" associations from the previous software.
    Other than the JAVA, what else in your system does the LEAD software rely on or interact with in any meaningful way?

If the author of the software says that nobody else is having a similar issue as you, you may want to re-evaluate
    your own installation and usage practices against what the author suggests as a standard how to in your version of Windows.
    It could be something really simple, but I think you should talk to others who actively use and know this kind of software.

For some serious troubleshooting I would start from scratch by going over every bit of installation and usage instruction
    regarding Lead Kahuna, & that includes how it interacts with JAVA, especially if they are not helping you in terms of support.
    *You might want to be a bit more aggressive-assertive in seeking support too.
    If the software you are using doesn't offer adequate support I think you are either dealing with something that is "mickey mouse" or offers
    a cheaper [$$] set of tools than many others and is not willing to fully support it.

What Happened To David Sprague's Support
    Lead Kahuna Scraper alternatives

If you have the older version up and running now, I would suggest tracking it with some of these
    utilities appropriate for the job. You'll want to know exactly what is running and being written too or stored where. (including registry and associated dlls)
    You could have something left over in the registry or the winsxs areas that is causing problems with a new version.

The alternative a complete format and clean install, but you should have more avenues to explore before considering that.

Consider a registry cleaner tool.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-07-22 at 11:55.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow35 View Post
    This is probably not helpful at this point, but have you used msconfig to check the 'autorun' list? These are the things that automatically run whenever you boot up windows. That could be why the folder keeps reinstalling itself.
    I think the folder may be attached to Java & the software program. So every time the folder is deleted, it re-installs when I open the program (which uses Java - which I disabled at startup).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nr0e View Post
    I think the folder may be attached to Java & the software program. So every time the folder is deleted, it re-installs when I open the program (which uses Java - which I disabled at startup).
    How did you disable Java at startup? I'm not aware of any way to do that.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You obviously have something on your system that is "remembering" associations from the previous software. Other than the JAVA, what else in your system does the LEAD software rely on or interact with in any meaningful way?
    I have no idea what else LK uses besides Java...although it does use Skype for the dialer. When I uninstalled Java to do a clean install, I tried opening LK before the Java re-install. It said it required Java to run & would not open.

If the author of the software says that nobody else is having a similar issue as you, you may want to re-evaluate your own installation and usage practices against what the author suggests as a standard how to in your version of Windows. It could be something really simple, but I think you should talk to others who actively use and know this kind of software.
    I installed as I always do & it has worked up until I needed to upgrade from version 2.0. The developers say I am the only one having the issue, but I'd guess of the 1,000 purchasers of the software, only about 20% have even opened it & used it (the marketer used to complain that many people weren't opening it because he could tell on his end).

There is no support "group" for people who have purchased the software, only the Help desk so there is no way to talk to other users (& they discourage people from posting support questions outside of the Help desk). LK is only available for purchase to people who have bought his products. There are 2 versions of LK: a full feature version with an auto dialer & more, & a lesser version without. Only members of his monthly paid Mastermind group get the full featured version. When you leave the MM, your version is automatically downgraded (on their end). I still have the full feature version 2.0 (the one that still opens & is already running when I try to open any other version), even though I am no longer in the MM.

*You might want to be a bit more aggressive-assertive in seeking support too. If the software you are using doesn't offer adequate support
    I have been aggressive with support & someone they said was the developer even did a remote share to look at the problem via my computer. But they just asked me to delete the .junique folder. So they have no idea what the problem is, & said it was a problem on my computer & they cannot give me support based on that.

Consider a registry cleaner tool.
    I will run CCleaner & see if that helps.

Thanks for the detailed assessment.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    How did you disable Java at startup? I'm not aware of any way to do that.

Jerry
    I went into msconfig & deselected it under the "Startup" tab.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For some serious troubleshooting I would start from scratch by going over every bit of installation and usage instruction regarding Lead Kahuna, & that includes how it interacts with JAVA, especially if they are not helping you in terms of support.
    I asked today for their instructions on doing a complete removal of the .exe software so I can start over with the latest version since they did charged me for the yearly renewal a few months ago. They say: "LK never actually installs on your machine, which is why you don't see it in the Add/Remove Programs section. It puts an icon on your desktop so you can access it through the Java, but that's it. Just remove all of the downloads and .exe files from your computer by dragging them to the trash." (Which is what I've ALWAYS done - for over year!)

The developers say they cannot replicate the issue on their end, and since nobody but me is having the issue, the ONLY way to resolve this is to work with a computer technician. They say it's NOT the software, it's something with my machine.

Btw, CCCleaner did not help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast