Thanks

Using rules for a MS Exchange account in Outlook 2010?

I'm not at sure why, but the rules seem to be OK. I'm not totally up to speed on the determination of server-side v. client-side rules...I suppose I'll learn when the errors start!

CB

----------------------
    I am trying to set up one of my accounts through my ISP (1and1) on an Exchange server.

It seems to all go fine until I try to apply rules.

First I keep getting a message that the rules will only be client-side and that Outlook has to be running. No biggie.

Then though, it seemed and seems like if I have to rules turned on, I get no mail, or it hangs forever when running.

Can't I use Outlook rules on an Exchange mailbox?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-07-26 at 19:19.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Outlook rules can be used on an Exchange mailbox. Most likely you have a rule incorrect. Try enabling the rules one at a time.

Joe

Thanks
    That's what I just did, Joe, and they all seem fine. I made a couple changes after I read a piece that pointed out that a rule that is set up to operate f. rom the server must be set up in a way that it has access to the necessary "parts" that it is calling.

It seems to be going OK at the moment.

I see messages that changes to the rules are being updated on the server. So, are they working from the server side or the client side? Is there a way to tell which?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"