New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to rename file in SysWow64, trustedInstaller is owner so won't let me

This is a nightmare, I need to rename a file in SysWow64 but because trustedinstaller is the owner it wont let me.

I did some googling and found out how to change the owner to myself, I did this for the entire Windows folder because I need to tinker with things in that folder and do NOT want to deal with windows babysitting garbage again. I then try to change the file again, but now I need permission from....myself. Well I wasn't expecting that, so I go back and give my windows user account full control for Windows folder. Again no deal, I need permission from myself to do it.

I do some more googling, some guy having the same problem apparently fixed this by giving full control to every Group/Username, so I give that a shot. I do this and STILL cannot change a files name in SysWow64 because I won't let me.

My account is the only administrator on the computer, I have set UAC down to never notify, what else can I do? How can I convince Windows 8 to let me use my own damn computer?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I remember reading about a similar problem. That user booted with a linux disk. It turns out that linux cares not about windows permissions. I never did that, but, I remember reading about it.
    Good Luck
    Michael

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael37713 View Post
    I remember reading about a similar problem. That user booted with a linux disk.
    Michael
    Have used Puppy Linux and Ubuntu to copy data from unbootable drives and also to delete recalcitrant files. I prefer a Puppy version as it boots faster.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Surely there must be a simpler non-linux way? This is a very simple task.