New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to rename file in SysWow64, trustedInstaller is owner so won't let me

This is a nightmare, I need to rename a file in SysWow64 but because trustedinstaller is the owner it wont let me.

I did some googling and found out how to change the owner to myself, I did this for the entire Windows folder because I need to tinker with things in that folder and do NOT want to deal with windows babysitting garbage again. I then try to change the file again, but now I need permission from....myself. Well I wasn't expecting that, so I go back and give my windows user account full control for Windows folder. Again no deal, I need permission from myself to do it.

I do some more googling, some guy having the same problem apparently fixed this by giving full control to every Group/Username, so I give that a shot. I do this and STILL cannot change a files name in SysWow64 because I won't let me.

My account is the only administrator on the computer, I have set UAC down to never notify, what else can I do? How can I convince Windows 8 to let me use my own damn computer?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I remember reading about a similar problem. That user booted with a linux disk. It turns out that linux cares not about windows permissions. I never did that, but, I remember reading about it.
    Good Luck
    Michael

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael37713 View Post
    I remember reading about a similar problem. That user booted with a linux disk.
    Michael
    Have used Puppy Linux and Ubuntu to copy data from unbootable drives and also to delete recalcitrant files. I prefer a Puppy version as it boots faster.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Surely there must be a simpler non-linux way? This is a very simple task.