iNET Interactive
    Thanks

What you need to know about 802.11ac Wi-Fi

TOP STORY

What you need to know about 802.11ac Wi-Fi

By Yardena Arar

The Wave 2 update for the relatively new 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard promises even faster and more efficient networks.

Here's what to expect — and why you might want to wait a bit before purchasing that new 802.11ac router.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/what-you-need-to-know-about-802.11ac-wi-fi/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-07-23 at 19:34.

Thanks

IoT

What is truly "Waiting in the wings" is the IEEE 802.11ah, which is a wireless networking protocol that is an amendment of the IEEE 802.11-2007 wireless networking standard.
    It utilizes sub-GHz license-exempt bands to provide extended range Wi-Fi networks. It may have the potential to unify communications for all things that will connect InternetOfThings (IoT).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Remember you are speaking with an older guy with limited knowledge of all this new computer tech.

With that said I have a few questions. I'm getting ready to move to a new residence in St Augustine Fla, that I will likely only be using for a portion of the year as I spend other time overseas in Thailand. Naturally I want hi-speed internet while I am there (maybe 6-7 months of the year).
    1) So I assume that I might want to wait to purchase a new router, such as one of these for the future. And it will work with any seller of Wi-Fi to a residence?
    2) Would this also be the more ideal router (speed and capacity) to get streaming video and TV services? Am I correct that this is the future of TV and video reception in the home, verses the current 'cable TV' services?
    3) I'm not a big TV watcher, but I have considered getting hooked up to Netflix, and as I understand it I could get this service over the internet rather than thru cable? I would love not to pay these 'monopolistic cable companies' for some TV and/or movie presentations,...particularly if I'm not there to use them for 5-6 months per year.
    Thanks, Brian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've owned a ZyXEL 802.11ac router for about a year. Bought it to speed up multimedia networking in my home. It did this, but only at close range. It's nearly a line-of-sight router. The 2.4ghz side of the router is unremarkable in that its range is similar to the Linksys it replaced.
    I hope that now that Wave 2 is emerging, perhaps the manufacturer will provide a firmware update to improve performance and provide at least some of the newer features available using existing hardware.
    [/SIZE]