New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlink character style not formatting as blue (Word 2010)

Hi folks,

The built-in character style "Hyperlink," which is supposed to turn text to blue, isn't turning the text blue in our documents anymore (see attached document). We've seen this happen in many of our documents, including documents using different templates. In some cases the text has started blue but after the document is passed around during review the blue formatting disappears.

Is this is a bug, is there something wrong with the style definition, or is this a usage error?

Thanks,

Beej
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I have examined your document and it is as you say.

Further, the links are formatted in the hyperlink character style which has a blue color and the underline characteristic. Nevertheless, they are ordinary text in appearance. They act as hyerlinks. They are not inserted hyperlinks but rather cross-references with an /h switch.

When I insert a Hyperlink directly, it has the characteristic formatting. Insert > Hyperlink > Bookmark

I suspect that this is because cross-references ordinarily would not be shown as links. This is something I had not known before. This appears to be the case in both Word 2003 and Word 2010 (haven't checked other versions). I believe it is probably by design and not a bug. I don't know of any documentation on it, though.

http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...formatting.htm
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-07-23 at 14:08.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

ItsjustBeej (2014-07-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Charles. Another case of MS deciding this is how you shall work I guess. We produce regulatory documents for FDA which require cross-references formatted as blue text. I'll tell my team and I'll add the blue formatting via Acrobat.

I appreciate you confirming the behavior.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I haven't ever noticed this behaviour and it is very odd.

I did a search and found that this has been documented in at least one place http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/formatcrossreferences.htm so it must be accepted behaviour.

It is possible to get the links to appear in blue with the underline but only if you remove the Hyperlink character style and then apply the settings by local formatting. Interestingly, other character styles can be applied successfully to the cross-references so you could choose to apply another character style that has the same characteristics as the Hyperlink style.

It would be relatively straightforward to create a macro to apply the right formatting to all your existing cross refs. A macro to apply the formatting as you insert the cross ref is here http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=86862
    Last edited by Andrew Lockton; 2014-07-23 at 18:17.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

ItsjustBeej (2014-07-24)

Thanks
    Suzanne Barnhill suggested the following article.
    http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/FormatCross...htm#FormatAll.
    She confirmed that the removal of hyperlink formatting on cross-references (and Tables of Contents) is by design.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

ItsjustBeej (2014-07-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsjustBeej View Post
    Thanks Charles. Another case of MS deciding this is how you shall work I guess. We produce regulatory documents for FDA which require cross-references formatted as blue text. I'll tell my team and I'll add the blue formatting via Acrobat.

I appreciate you confirming the behavior.
    See http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/FormatCrossReferences.htm#FormatAll if you want to do it in Word.

Another way is to use Insert > Hyperlink > Bookmark instead of Reference > Cross-Reference to insert the links.

Before you judge MS too harshly, remember that Word is really designed to produce paper documents. In paper documents, the hyperlink formatting gets in the way and makes the document look junky. When I am using Word to produce paper documents, I change the character style for hyperlink and followed hyperlink to be the same as my body text.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-07-24 at 04:00.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

ItsjustBeej (2014-07-24)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Great round of information. The cross-referencing issue is actually quite common. Your workaround is very helpful. Interesting to learn more about the philosophy behind the mechanism, as well.
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR-Boost Software
    www.boostsoftware.com