Lounger
    Thanks

How to install Windows 8 32-bit using only a product key?

Good day to all.

I'm having a minor problem and I hope the collective wisdom here can help.

I purchased several Windows 8 keys back when Microsoft was offering upgrades from earlier versions. Because I had planned to run only the 64-bit version, I didn't bother downloading the 32-bit version.

Now I want to upgrade my Acer H341 Windows Home Server box running WHS v1 to Windows 8.1. I want to stay with 32-bit for several reasons: the box can accept only 2GB RAM and some of the applications that I want to run apparently work best on 32-bit Windows.

I have tried using the Microsoft web site "How to install Windows 8 with only a product key" - this allows me to download the 64-bit version but does not give me the option to select the 32-bit version. I'm guessing this is happening because I'm downloading the package using my Win 7 64-bit computer.

Can anyone tell me how to obtain the original Windows 8 32-bit ISO from Microsoft? I can find what is purported to be the original ISO from sites other than MS but I'm concerned about security - I do't want to download something that has had something malicious added to the ISO.

I realize that my keys will install only WIndows 8 rather than 8.1. That's okay - I plan to simply upgrade to 8.1 after 8 is up and running.

I have legal and currently-unused WIndows 8 product keys but no 32-bit media.

Many thanks!

dwayne

Thanks
    Unfortunately there are no Windows 8 ISO's to download. Your only option is buy a hard copy of the version you want.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have access to a 32 bit machine you should be able to download the 32 bit version.

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Run the Upgrade Assistant to see if you can upgrade from WHS 1. I don't think you can. Only Windows 7 and earlier qualifies and it must be on the computer to qualify for the upgrade. How to Upgrade
    You should keep what you have now and save the upgrade key for another computer or buy windows 8.1 32bit retail disk. The unused key doesn't expire.

Thanks
    I found this which may be (or maybe not) a help:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...-8-product-key

which points to this as another needed step:
    http://www.jmedved.com/2013/09/insta...a-product-key/
    http://www.jmedved.com/2013/09/insta...a-product-key/
    You will still need a 32bit W7 or W8 machine to run it from.

This does all seem a bit annoying. Thanks MS...

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I did resolve my problem, but in a completely different way. It turns out that I had ordered the optional physical media when I had purchased one of my Windows 8 upgrade keys. This was one of those little 'niggles' in the back of my mind and I followed up on it - and found the package. I hadn't needed it until now, so had forgotten that I had it.

Inside the package are two discs: one each for 32-bit and 64-bit.

The 32-bit OS installed very nicely as a clean install over top of the 64-bit version that I had installed from the download.

Not quite the solution I was looking for but it worked!

dwayne

Thanks
    dwayne
    Glad you found a solution.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.