New Lounger
    Thanks

What's in Startup download Warning

I realize that this question doesn't totally apply to above conversation, but I am new to the site & I am not really clear as to how to ask new questions. I tried to clean up my start-up registry by using whatsinstartup v1.35 ( I read in some of your previous threads that that this download would greatly help to disable unwanted programs.). However, when I went to download whatsinstartup v1.35 on my computer,the security on my computer (Norton) warned me that this is a potential threat to my computer. Should I disregard this warning & download anyway? My computer could really use the disabling features of this download. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchucker2 View Post
    I realize that this question doesn't totally apply to above conversation, but I am new to the site & I am not really clear as to how to ask new questions. I tried to clean up my start-up registry by using whatsinstartup v1.35 ( I read in some of your previous threads that that this download would greatly help to disable unwanted programs.). However, when I went to download whatsinstartup v1.35 on my computer,the security on my computer (Norton) warned me that this is a potential threat to my computer. Should I disregard this warning & download anyway? My computer could really use the disabling features of this download. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
    I use Norton 360 and while it could be a false positive, I never ignore its warnings and would suggest you leave it unless others have positive comments about it.

StartUpLite is also supposed to be able to do the same with Startup items, give that a try instead https://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite/

Can you provide the download link for that program.

Edit

Try this download link for it http://www.techspot.com/downloads/49...instartup.html

Neither Norton or Windows Smart Firewall queried it, which is unusual.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-24 at 12:33.

Thanks
    Woodchucker, I moved your post to a new thread. I PM'd you with instructions on how to post a new question for future use.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you downloaded the file from WhatInStartup you can safely ignore the message. The Nirsoft utilities often trigger false positive messages.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nir Sofer (author of WhatInStartup) often discusses issues with false positive alerts on his blog.

Whilst caution is wise, I've used all of his utilities for many years and never had a problem with them despite warnings from AVG, Avira, McAfee, etc.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    And when in doubt there is always
    https://www.virustotal.com/ and similiar.
    You can send a down loaded file to them and check it against several av engines.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Always try as much as you can, to download all your software from the manufacturer's site. If in doubt, google the name of the software and you can find the manufacturer's site. Also googling the program name along with the words "malware" or "virus" often speaks volumes of the reputation of the software. And after downloading ANY file, be it an .exe or .zip or .rar, scan it with your AV software before opening it. None of these methods have ever let me down.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett