Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Installing older version of MS Office

I purchased Office 2003 Professional in 2004, but never installed it since I could use the version available at work -- which did not include the database module. I am now retired and want the Office database for home use. I have the major service packs, and I know MS no longer supports Office 2003. Is it safe to use if I never link to the internet from it or open any documents that are sent to me?

If you don't recommend this, is there a free program that has a database and good instructions for newbies? I want 3 databases: my library, recipes (some with links to the cookbooks in the library), and crafting, which will link to several smaller databases, and to the library database. There will be pictures to include in all 3 databases and all 3 databases will include items with web links although those won't be in the database.

Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can still use Office 2003 but without Microsoft support it may not prevent issues from malware, adware, etc.

A free alternative to Office is LibreOffice, has a database application but does not have an equivalent E-Mail Client for Outlook. I haven't used Base but it should be useful.

Windows Live Mail, part of Windows Essentials, is a good alternate.
    www.libreoffice.org
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ive/essentials

Thought I'd add, I cleaned up a WinXP yesterday, did the updates available and it's Word 2002 [part of Works Suite 2002] wanted its SP3, no problem downloading and installing but it did want the CD in the drive at the time, fortunately I had the disc.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-07-24 at 15:36.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your suggestion.

I have LibreOffice and its database seems to be based on the spreadsheet module. Will it let me design reports (what you see when you want to enter data) that are freeform, with different things in different places on the "page"? For example, if I design the library database with the book data on the left and want to include picture of the dust jacket in the upper right corner, can I do that?

Email is a non-issue. I will continue to use Eudora 7.1 until my (future) OS will not install it, or it won't run properly. I haven't needed any of the new features of more recent email software, and since Eudora stores its data in text-based files, I can open suspicious email in NoteTab Light, delete all the HTML coding and be safe from any nastiness while reading the text message.
    Last edited by areader; 2014-07-24 at 16:12. Reason: Grammar error

Thanks
    I use 2003 and have done for quite a long time. Libre Office is pretty much the same as 2003 in all modules other than the database. Obviously there are differences but Libre is still usable. However, I have never been able to get on with Base - Access in my opinion, is so much better. As you say, Base is based on the spreadsheet; I could never get an equivalent of my Access databases with menu pages and the like.

However, I'm sure that with care, you could continue to use Access, while using Calc, Impress and Writer from Libre.

Just my two pennyworth.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. So for now I will install only Access and the other manditory parts. The only part of LibreOffice I use regularly is Writer; if my dear old Word Perfect 12 could export to pdf, I don't think I would need LibreOffice at all.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Office 2003 is quite safe to use - regardless of whether you're connected to the internet - and is likely to remain so, provided your anti-virus software is kept up-to-date. As for PDF production, you might also be interested to know that Adobe has made Acrobat Pro 8 available as a free download. That provides more PDF capability than most people could poke a stick at.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for that tip. I got away from Acrobat Reader because it was very bloated and filled with features I had no use for. What about Acrobat Pro 8? My HP EliteBook 2530p laptop has limited hard drive space available and my local indep. computer shop hasn't been able to find a larger hard drive that will fit in the space.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could always install Foxit PDF Reader then print from within WordPerfect to Foxit's virtual PDF printer to create PDF's. Foxit PDF Reader is far less bloated (98 Mb) and faster to load than Acrobat Reader (320 Mb).

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-07-29 at 21:38.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    laptop has limited hard drive space available and my local indep. computer shop hasn't been able to find a larger hard drive that will fit in the space
    That sounds like they were looking for a physically larger HDD when the term would have been Higher Capacity. There's only 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs made now, back in the mid-'90s there was a 5.25" known as the Bigfoot.

The 2.5" HDDs for Notebooks are now available up to 1TB storage capability and most are the same thickness, 9.5mm. There were older Notebooks that used different thicknesses but they had an adapter to accommodate them.

It could be the BIOS in your Notebook can't accept a higher capacity, could be a BIOS update is available from the vendor of it, I had to do a couple a few years ago.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The OP's ultra portable - an HP EliteBook 2530p - may be one of the ones that came with a 1.8" hard drive. The highest capacity drive available (now that Hitachi and Seagate no longer do 1.8" drives) is - I believe - the Toshiba MK3233GSG at 320GB. (I had the same problem trying to update my 2510p.)
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-07-29 at 12:08.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This sounds exactly like what the shop was finding when they went looking for me. Nobody is making a larger capacity hard drive that would fit the space availble. Mine is 320G, so if I can't prune drastically, I'd better start looking for a newer laptop, 3lbs. or under, with a built-in DVD player. I think that's going to be a tall order.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Please look at my answer to the next poster for the exact problem I have.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by areader View Post
    Thank you for that tip. I got away from Acrobat Reader because it was very bloated and filled with features I had no use for. What about Acrobat Pro 8?
    I think it requires about 1.25-1.5Gb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    You could always install Foxit PDF Reader
    True though that may be, it doesn't provide anywhere near the functionality of Acrobat Pro, which includes saving PDFs as documents and performing OCR on scanned content and 'text-image' PDFs.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried Foxit but found it lacking in some features, like pulling text out of a pdf file without a lot of alterations. I currently use Nitro Reader 3 which does a better job.

Lounger
    Thanks
    OCR on text-image PDFs will be very useful. I download a lot of documents with text and images and the pdf files are often 2-5M because of fancy fonts, decorative borders on every page, and lots more images than I think are necessary. When I redo them using LibreOffice--and NoteTab Light for combining short rows--I can often get a document to under 1M or maybe even 0.5M, thus saving a lot of space on this poor overloaded laptop.

Another question about Office 2003. Word documents can be huge compared to the text version, or a WordPerfect version. I understand that's to do with how the document is formatted, and that every single change is permanently recorded, including the "undo"s. But does that make for bloated PDF documents?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast