2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Questions on "EMET"

I'm curious about EMET ( Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit ) from MS.
    Is it easy enough to use for someone that isn't an IT whiz? It sounds like it would be really useful to lock down a system from Malware but from the MS EMET url, I'm not sure that it is user friendly for someone like me to figure out the learning curve.
    Are there many drawbacks to the program?
    Any information from EMET user's would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you get carried away it would be possible to stop a trusted program from working temporarily.

So just use the default recommended settings in the wizard which runs after installation:

How to configure Microsoft EMET for protection from hacking and zero-day flaws in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1

(I've been using it for a few years with absolutely no issues.)

Bruce

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2014-07-25),lumpy95 (2014-07-24),RetiredGeek (2014-07-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Guess I'll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks
    I've run into a few issues running EMET on my Windows 7 PC. Had to go to the Apps window and disable the entire row for WinWord (2007), Excel 92007), WMplayer. I'm sure I didn't have to uncheck everything but didn't want to spend the time narrowing down the specific items at fault.

If you do decide to run EMET and find an application no longer runs properly, open EMET, click on the apps icon and see if you can find the failing app listed. If you do, uncheck everything in the row and click on OK. Run the app again and if no errors, you can go back in EMET and enable things a little at a time until you find the culprit(s).

The biggest problem is forgetting EMET may be responsible for an app not running. I scratched my head for a long time on a media player error until I remembered EMET.

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-07-25)

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I downloaded and read through Bruce's link and several times it mentions MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit. I'm already running this and after reading the post I don't particularly feel a great need to mess with EMET. YMMV!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I downloaded and read through Bruce's link and several times it mentions MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit. I'm already running this and after reading the post I don't particularly feel a great need to mess with EMET. YMMV!
    If I read you right, EMET may not even be needed if MalwareBytes is installed, is that correct?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    If I read you right, EMET may not even be needed if MalwareBytes is installed, is that correct?
    Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is only free for browsers and Java. Premium version to protect Office, PDF, WMP etc. is $25 per year.

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The biggest problem is forgetting EMET may be responsible for an app not running. I scratched my head for a long time on a media player error until I remembered EMET.
    Very true:

This is really where EMET’s unobtrusiveness can be a blessing and a curse. Unlike some security and antivirus tools that periodically pop-up annoying warnings or notifications to let you know they’re still there and doing their job, EMET is likely to do its job unnoticed by most users. I say curse because on one occasion (I can’t recall the name of the application at issue) I spent a few days scratching my head over an app that wouldn’t work properly, only to remember later that I’d set it to use EMET months before.

Windows Security 101: EMET 4.0

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is really where EMET’s unobtrusiveness can be a blessing and a curse
    That's what scares me.
    So just use the default recommended settings in the wizard which runs after installation
    So if I just use the default, I shouldn't have any problems then? It looks like problems start when you add other programs to be monitored, from what I see so far.

Thanks
    I used the defaults and ran into the problems I described above. I also had to make some modifications to get Java to run on the sites I use it on.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I used the defaults and ran into the problems I described above. I also had to make some modifications to get Java to run on the sites I use it on.

Jerry
    In that case I may as well forget it because I'll never figure it out.