Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts

Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview

Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview is available for download. Anyone can get it, very easily:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...1-and-cortana/

This new version is nothing but amazing. I have been using it for a couple hours and it's just great. Peter Bright has a thorough review:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...hone-platform/

There are many new features that make it worth using this preview: the notifications center, the new wider start screen and for US based users, Cortana.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Got it yesterday too Rui... Have to agree, this is awesome. the only parts I'm having troubles with are the "read" functions which seems to pop up on websites every once in a while ? and I can't seem to fund the InPrivate browsing setting/function. I really like Cortana too

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great, John . I don't browse much from the phone, I confess, so I haven't yet tried IE.

Let me know about battery behavior.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I am noticing a little drop in battery life but nothing to get excited about. Will no more later today after I'm out and about a bit.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yeah, things are similar with me, now. Immediately after the upgrade a whole battery was showing to last about 11 hours, which is much less than usual. However after fully charging it again, hourly discharge rate went noticeably down and the expected battery life is back to normal.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Actually, battery is really a problem. I am now getting a 10 hours per charge average, instead of the 24+ that I got before. Not happy about it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Well, after playing with the phone for a couple of days I can attest to the fact that there is a little more battery drainage than before. On my Icon it appeared at first almost be unacceptable. After a day or so however it seems now that it is Ok.
    That said I am noticing that the lock screen calendar is not updating. The date and times are correct, and the picture changes as well but what it shows to do for today matches the previous day? Am going to check my settings. I should also mention that I use The Simple Calendar app but that shouldn't affect the lock screen....

Was able to figure out the InPrivate Browsing mode. Works pretty good except that I do not use the "tabs" button, I have instead chosen that for favorites. But once I open a tab (by either means) I can go to InPrivate by clicking on the more dots.

I am also seeing (I think) some degradation in my WiFi. With the WiFi sense off, I have seen the signal totally disappear only to return when I turn that back on. This is while I am at home. I checked the signal on my Surface RT, prior to turning the WiFi sense back on and it was showing Netflix
    fine!!! LOL

Overall, I am going to give this an 8+/10 rating. Realizing that this is a Beta, there are just a few things that need to be fixed.

I love Cortana, but to me the addition of InPrivate browsing, and that my favorites are now synced with my tablet are the two biggies.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would call reducing battery life to less than half a major problem, at least on my phone.

The other major downside is the path towards apps and the de-emphasis on hubs. The people hub is a great example. It worked fantastically before, you could use it to monitor twitter and facebook and now it's worthless for that. What was once a key highlight of the OS was now dumped by Microsoft. Stupid decision, IMO.

If it were not for this, I would say 9 / 10. Like this, especially the battery issue, it is like 5/10. I really can't use the phone without having a way to charge it regularly, which is not always available. This is very bad.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I think you mean the "Me" hub? I was just reading about the Me part, and while I don't use it that much, I agree, that they are going in the wrong direction there, but you can add other apps to that. I haven't paid that much attention to the people hub yet.

Yea your battery issue is a major downer as was mine at first. But it seems to have settled down a little. I read that same thing with others' phone in both the Power users forums as well as Windows Phone Central forums.

John
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    No, I meant the People hub. if you choose what's new, you'd get tweets and fb posts and you could reply from there. Now that is no longer possible.

Regarding the battery, if anything I see battery lasting time doing down each time I charge the phone.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hmm interesting. I just went over to the people hub, and saw a contacted had posted. I clicked on the "+" sign and it opened up so that I could either like or post a reply. I don't use twitter so I have no knowledge there. In fact I just posted on a friends page.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you do that, it opens the facebook app. It didn't before, the OS supported everything natively.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    that's true, but really I don't have a problem with that. I just came back from being out and about for about an hour and a half, and still have almost a full charge.
    What is really starting to get me though is the WiFi... intermittent at best, took forever to connect when I got home.... totally screwed up. Oh well, it is a beta....
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Just a thought and I'm sure you have, but! have you checked to see what apps are on by chance? I just did although I had to search to find where it was, and was surprised at what all was running that didn't need to be... Just Food for Thought
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have tried to check it exhaustively. I even disabled location and Cortana. Not looking good.

On the apps thing, hubs were pointed out by Microsoft itself as a big advantage over the competition. They even run a "Smoked by" campaign that relied on the hubs feature vs. the one app for each thing with the other OSes. It's quite surprising they are going back to the model they criticized.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast