Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Citizenship

Thanks

US Citizenship

How is it that a person born in Pennsylvania, whose parents were both born in Pennsylvania, is not born a U.S. Citizen?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    'Cos they were all born in the UK? (Pennsylvania, South Gloucester or Exeter, Devon)

Thanks
    Didn't know that there was a Pennsylvania outside the US...nice! So that is one answer but if we were talking about Pennsylvania in the US what would be the solution?

Thanks
    Is this unique to Pennsylvania? One answer might be that they were born to diplomats or similar, but this is common to the USA as a whole, not just Pennsylvania. Might it be the Amish - do they not have US citizenship? Unlikely as just being born in the US gives you citizenship automatically except in the case of diplomats and other foreign government employees (spies perhaps!).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now you have me worried as I was born in Pennsylvania and so were both my parents...guess I better check the legal records!
    Hmmm.

Thanks
    Nope, not necessarily Amish although they are citizens...good thought. Parents don't have to be diplomats. Oh KW, My cousin says your check out fine. But no one is yet close.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could it be that the person was born before the 14th amendment was enacted?

Thanks
    Brilliant!!! KW, you are a very intelligent man. I had absolutely no idea until someone told me the answer which I verified on line.

Thanks
    So it's not unique to Pennsylvania, and is (as far as this Brit is concerned) a somewhat obscure law that not many people would know about. Not only that, the question refers to people long dead. Foul, I cry, foul.

Maudibe, please ask a question only us Brits are likely to know the answer to!

Thanks
    How does GB handle their citizenship in a similar scenario?

Thanks
    That's not a question Brits can answer! We have an unwritten constitution so that doesn't help. It's assumed (or so it would seem) that anyone born in this country would be a British Citizen. You (if you wanted to become a British Citizen) could take am exam (after studying for it) that would enable you to become a citizen. It's often said that most (natural) British Citizens would fail it! Your system would seem better (did I just say that something American is better than the British version - I can't believe it!).

It's also complicated by Welsh, Scottish and Cornish people would like to be independent (well some of them anyway). Most Northern Irish wouldn't (for various reasons).

So here's a question - what is the official name of my country? No cheating by Googling it (like I did with your question!).

Just Googled citizenship myself, here's the answer:

lex soli: By birth in the UK to a parent who is a British citizen at the time of the birth, or to a parent who is settled in the UK
    lex sanguinis: By birth abroad, which constitutes "by descent" if one of the parents is a British citizen otherwise than by descent (for example by birth, adoption, registration or naturalisation in the UK). British citizenship by descent is only transferable to one generation down from the parent who is a British citizen otherwise than by descent, if the child is born abroad.
    By naturalisation
    By registration
    By adoption
    But some of this is by fairly recent Act of Parliament (1980s).

Phew, I hadn't realised what a can of worms was going to be opened by your simple question!

Thanks
    @Access-mdb I think we would need to go back before the Acts of Union 1707 for anything remotely comparable to have occurred here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If a person was born in the US, even if his parents are not US citizens, he automatically gets a US citizenship.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    unfortunately

many foreigners are coming here when advancedly pregnant
    just to have the kid here so it will be a citizen

and all the illegals just stay and have kids who are citizens then the govt lets the parents stay too no matter what so they dont break up a family

Quote Originally Posted by thejenna View Post
    If a person was born in the US, even if his parents are not US citizens, he automatically gets a US citizenship.

Thanks
    Perhaps, our fore-fathers were nipping the bottle a bit when they wrote this amendment into law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast