firstep

Converting WP9 to Word97

When I try to convert a WP9 document to Word 97, I get a message that says that the file is corrupted.
    I have tried to save the WP9 document as a Word document with the same results.
    If I try to save the WP9 document in RTF, only part of the file opens.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Converting WP9 to Word97

If you save the WP9 document out as RTF, can you then re-open the RTF file back into WP9? Did you lose anything by doing that?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

firstep

Andrew . . . RE: If you save the WP9 document out as RTF, can you then re-open the RTF file back into WP9? Did you lose anything by doing that?
    When I try saving the document as an RTF and try to open it in WP9, it comes up with an error message that says the program has conducted an illegal operation.
    If I try to open the RTF in Word 97, even tho the directory says the file is around 5300 KB, only 4 pages come up. The original WP9 document is 1,4000 KB and about 98 pages.
    There are graphics in the document.
    Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Then the problem is in the WP file and not in the Word conversion at all. What other export options do you have in WP? Can you save it into a format that a. WP can reopen and b. Word can convert happily. Maybe an earlier version of Word or even of WP would be good formats to try.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Failing that you could delete the objects/paragraphs around where the corruption appears to be (page 4) and try again. Recreating a couple of paragraphs is a whole lot easier than the whole document.

If you have both applications on the same machine - can you copy and paste from WP into Word?

firstep

Andrew . . . I agree with you that the problem is in the WP file and not in the Word conversion. Presently, I only have WP9 on my system and when you go to "save as", the option is WP6/7/8/9. I think I may try to reload an early version and try it from there.
    I really appreciate your trying to help.

Fred.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred,
    I'm just reading through this thread - WP9 are you referring to WordPerfect? I know with older versions of WordPerfect we have opened them with Word 97, selected the entire document, and did a paste special as Unformatted Text into a new document based on a template that had all our styles set up.

The only time we struck problems was from WordPerfect 6 for DOS (or something like that - so long ago it's hard to remember) - then we had to save the document in WordPerfect 5.1 format, and then open in Word and copy the data.

If there were merge codes these often converted into field codes when opened with Word and we would then convert these to straight text before doing the copy and paste as unformatted text.