New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Acer Win 8.1 not able to access internet

I had AT&T install Uverse Internet Phone service. It was working fine then I had an issue and the ATT Tech support got permission to access my Acer Laptop Aspire. When they were finished and logged off, I continued working, then when I got online next morning, no internet. Cannot even access the Modem from that computer. Had a tech tell me that I needed to access the modem and make sure that WEP was on, I pulled out my Old Compaq Win 7 laptop and was able to access the modem with it. It showed that the security was set to WPA (both), and also that WEP was set up and that the access Pass was the same as the WPA so I set it to WEP and still could not access the modem or internet. Changed it back to WPA and am now using my Win 7 machine to access the internet. Cannot figure out what the blazes has gone wrong with the 8.1 laptop that I can no longer access the internet or any other computer on my home network. The error message I get every time is: The connection has time out. Must admit I am not a happy camper.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    WEP and WPA refer to the type of encryption which is used to keep people from hacking into your wireless network. You should use WPA2, or at the very least WPA. WEP is easily cracked, and therefore you shouldn't use it.

If all of your connected wireless devices can use WPA or WPA2, you have no need of WEP. If you have an older device that must be connected, and it doesn't support anything better than WEP, then you're either stuck with WEP or you need to upgrade or replace the device.

For Uverse, there may be a special type of modem and/or router. I therefore can't advise the following if that is the case. But if you have a standard router, then you might start by resetting the router to factory default (there is a reset button on it), and then starting over, doing a fresh connection for each wireless device. Before resetting the router, look at the various settings and write down anything that you will need to remember for later, such as a proxy IP address.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Acer Aspire Windows 8.1 problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    WEP and WPA refer to the type of encryption which is used to keep people from hacking into your wireless network. You should use WPA2, or at the very least WPA. WEP is easily cracked, and therefore you shouldn't use it.

If all of your connected wireless devices can use WPA or WPA2, you have no need of WEP. If you have an older device that must be connected, and it doesn't support anything better than WEP, then you're either stuck with WEP or you need to upgrade or replace the device.

For Uverse, there may be a special type of modem and/or router. I therefore can't advise the following if that is the case. But if you have a standard router, then you might start by resetting the router to factory default (there is a reset button on it), and then starting over, doing a fresh connection for each wireless device. Before resetting the router, look at the various settings and write down anything that you will need to remember for later, such as a proxy IP address.
    I do know that the modem is working properly, I tried to give the full picture of what the Tech was telling me to do. None of it worked of course, and I agree with WPA2 which is what the modem is set to now. I have my home network through a different modem and different router, which are also using WPA2 and I have not problem with my Windows 7 laptop which connects through this other network, why the Win 8.1 Laptop is not working I do not understand. All settings are as they are supposed to be, my net genie says it is connected to the internet, but no sites are reachable from the Win 8.1 computer, on either network, while as you can see this compaq win 7 computer has not problem getting out to the internet. I thank you for your response, the only way to reset this modem (Uverse) is to unplug wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. I have tried that already. I aslo tried to use direct connect (ethernet) no help there either. It is something internal to the Win 8.1 Acer Aspire and not the Uverse Modem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you follow what the AT&T techs were doing and what was the issue that required their accessing your machine ?

Have you had a look in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network Adapters (and Non Plug and Play drivers) for any yellow alerts/red crosses or Unknown Devices ?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm

Also, which AV program are you using ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-06 at 03:28.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Once he started he was flying through the moves he made, so no, could not follow him as he worked. I called them because of a problem I had with connecting to the modem which was an older one that had been refurbished. (Motorola modem)

Looked in Device Manager including hidden devices etc. No red flags or yellow alerts. I have also run network and internet diagnostics and it comes back that my computer seems to be working properly but it cannot actually tell me what is wrong. Audio/Visual is Windows Media Player, and Real Player Free version. Don't see any unknown devices either.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    So that could either be your AV program if a 3rd party one or a couple of bits on your computer need resetting.

If you are using an AV other than Windows Defender, then see if disabling it momentarily allows you to connect.

To reset the couple of bits, open a command prompt as an administrator and enter these commands -

netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

And you may as well add these after wiring up -

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    exit

Now reboot.

If either of the commands fail, then open the command prompt again as an admin and enter sfc /scannow and let us know what that reports.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-06 at 11:00.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry when you asked about AV I thought you meant Audio/Visual. I am using AVG Free version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The entries you have given me are in need of Administrator credentials. I logged into my admin acct and it does not recognize me as admin. I am beginning to think I made a huge mistake purchasing a Win 8 machine, since it has caused me much grief and seems to be bent on continuing such. Is there something I can do on the command line to convince this machine that I am an administrator?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Being a Win 7 user, I have to keep looking this up but you are half way there being logged in with your Admin account http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

AVG has a Toolbar (add-on) that can cause IE not to connect and it's called AVG Secure Search and can be got around by opening IE without add-ons - I'll have to look that one up for Win 8.1 as well

Edit - Found this one that explains it properly and if IE opens okay without add-ons and Secure Search isn't listed, you can either physically disable them all via Tools - Internet options - Manage add-ons and then re-enable one at a time to ID the bad one, or download AdwCleaner to see if you've picked up anything else that's blocking your Internet connection - if disabling AVG and those winsock etc. commands don't do it.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-06 at 14:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The second netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt, was not recognized. I found out how to do the admin thing. Read the 1st Chapter of Win 8 hacks. Definitely gave me the help I needed for that.
    Anyway, I entered all the entries you gave me above, I still get the error msg that says, the destination timed out.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Try netsh int ip reset

Did you try disabling AVG ?

If you can find your way into Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter settings - right click on the Wireless adapter and select Properties then uncheck the box for (TCP/IPv6) - OK and see where that gets you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

jq2intx (2014-08-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Firefox though not IE, I stopped using IE a long time ago, too many problems with it. That stuff that AVG adds in are also a pain, so I use the free version and tell it I do not want any extras, when installing I uncheck anything that is not Anti Virus. I already have other tools that I use. Will actually be glad to switch if that might help, I can download Avast instead that is the #1 AV program at CNet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Found AVG in the Adapter Settings, disabled it and TCP/IPv6, Then tried to get online, got online!!!!!
    Went back in and enabled TCP/IPv6 (after shutting down Firefox. Started up Firefox and went to ATT.NET worked!!!!!!! AVG is toast.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jq2intx View Post
    Found AVG in the Adapter Settings, disabled it and TCP/IPv6, Then tried to get online, got online!!!!!
    Went back in and enabled TCP/IPv6 (after shutting down Firefox. Started up Firefox and went to ATT.NET worked!!!!!!! AVG is toast.
    Well, it had to be one of those after trying the other suggestions but glad you got there.

You probably know about using AV program Uninstallers to ensure there's no remnants that can conflict with the new one - here's AVG's Uninstaller (ensure you download the correct version) http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

Avast doesn't have its own Firewall so you will have to at least re-enable Windows Firewall (if you can do that in Win 8.1) until a Google for a compatible and perhaps better one.

Edit - You need to have a good AV and scanner if you use CNET - try the official site or MajorGeeks/BleepingComputer.com if they have a download link.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-06 at 16:41.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Avast doesn't have its own Firewall so you will have to at least re-enable Windows Firewall (if you can do that in Win 8.1) until a Google for a compatible and perhaps better one.
    Just go to control panel and click on windows firewall (just like in win 7!)

If you find a good firewall let us know. I went to Windows firewall because zonealarm free just became far too obtrusive (more than when I first started using it).