Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hooray for Macrium Reflect!

When I booted my PC this morning it came up with an error, giving options to refresh etc. None of these worked, so I got my USB stick with the Macrium Reflect rescue media on it, booted from it and restored. And it worked! It just goes to show how important it is to do regular backups. I normally do an image every Sunday, but this week I was away on Sunday so did it yesterday (Monday), and this was the image I restored from - in 1 hour 15 minutes.

Why the problem occurred i don't know, hardware monitor says the disk is excellent. Now to do a scannow and a few other checks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Aaargh, spoke too soon. Went out for an hour and when I returned there was a blue screen asking which keyboard I wished to use. Then the aforementioned choices. Trying to refresh it stated ' the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock and try again'.

Any ideas? I will have to use my tablet to monitor the forum until I can get this sorted.

To correct above, hard disk sentinel says disk is OK. HWMonitor says temps are OK.

Just running sfc /scannow.

Thanks

now a disaster

Here's the log from the scannow run. Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2014-07-08 at 09:33.

Thanks
    What did sfc report on screen after it finished running? Did you get a message that there were errors that it could not repair? Sfc sometimes needs to run three or four times.

Also, have you run chkdsk /r on the drive?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanks bbearen, I will run it again and a chkdsk

Thanks
    Thanks bbearen, I have run it 4 times now with the same result. I was running chkdsk (after a reboot) but it failed before it finished. Down to the local repairers methinks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Time to jack up the CD drive and slot a new PC in underneath - to paraphrase an old car line.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    ...Or just restore one of your earlier images and hope that the issue doesn't follow it too.

I couldn't make a lot out of your scannow report. A BSOD event taken from the event viewer would be more convenient, but less likely if you can't boot
    into Windows. Knowing the original error would be nice.

A shot in the dark...
    Bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Boot from a repair disk or USB stick (hopefully you have one or the other or both) and run chkdsk /r from there.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanks for your replies guys, been offline for a couple of days. I'm shocked that most of my images are failing, only the latest is working and that appears to have the problem. I have neither the disk nor the USB stick. I was wondering, as I bought win 8 pro when it was on offer, is there any way of downloading an iso and to a clean install. I've got away with a lot when others haven't, so this might be a good mmove anyway. Will be running Brlarc to see what I've got so I can reinstall relevant software.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Thanks for your replies guys, been offline for a couple of days. I'm shocked that most of my images are failing, only the latest is working and that appears to have the problem. I have neither the disk nor the USB stick. I was wondering, as I bought win 8 pro when it was on offer, is there any way of downloading an iso and to a clean install. I've got away with a lot when others haven't, so this might be a good mmove anyway. Will be running Brlarc to see what I've got so I can reinstall relevant software.
    If your HDD is failing, reinstalling Windows won't cure that. You said running chkdsk on a reboot failed before it finished. Such a failure doesn't pinpoint whether the failure is Windows or the HDD (although it points to the HDD, since a reboot run of chkdsk has very little of Windows actually booted).

That's why I suggested running chkdsk from a repair disk/USB; no part of Windows is booted, and nothing depends on the HDD, so chkdsk can give you a true state of the disk.

Unleash Windows

Thanks

digitalriver for iso

checkdisk first
    then get the iso from digitalriver
    http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-...media-legally/

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Boot from a repair disk or USB stick (hopefully you have one or the other or both) and run chkdsk /r from there.
    I agree. If your disk is failing or has too many issues, no image restore is going to solve that.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Sorry for dely to replies, just managed to get my old desktop with Linux working (well, off a memory stick anyway). 7" tablets aren't easy to use on forums like this one.

I'm running chkdsk at the mo - seems to have stopped at 13%. There is some disk activity though. However, I have Hard Disk Sentinal and that shows temps no higher than 51 C (ever) and 100% excellent. Can the disk be failing with a report like this?

The PC runs OK for about an hour and I can do stuff - just ran belarc advisor so that I have a list of all my software to get it reinstalled if i ever get to that position. I'm expecting that it will fail again shortly

Thanks
    Chkdsk checks the magnetic media of the disk and all its parameters; partitioning, formatting, file system, sectors, the condition of the magnetic surface of the disk. It's looking at things other than temperatures and the physical condition of the mechanical hardware itself.

Basically it's looking for bad sectors, and the /r switch tells it to attempt to recover any usable files from bad sectors and mark them as "bad" so the file system will ignore them.

Don't stop chkdsk. Let it run to completion, which can sometimes take quite a long while.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast