Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Sudden Random BSOD

I was working on my Win7 Ultimate laptop yesterday when I encountered a sudden BSOD. I had a bunch of websites open in Chrome (it was the only application running at the time) and I minimized the window. When I moved my mouse pointer down to the Notification Area and clicked on the Network icon, the computer immediately displayed a BSOD. The message went by too fast and the only thing I noticed in the screen was BAD_POOL_CALLER.

Then the PC rebooted on its own and displayed the Windows Error Recovery screen. I chose to start Windows normally, went into the Event Viewer and scanned the list. I found 3 red flags, out of which, the below image corresponds to the actual BSOD.

1.PNG
    Last edited by KritzX; 2014-07-25 at 04:18.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Red Flag No.2: This one seriously alarmed me. Could this indicate a memory problem?

3.PNG

Red Flag No.3: I found multiple errors similar to this one. What does this indicate?

2.PNG
    Last edited by KritzX; 2014-07-25 at 04:15.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    I forgot to add that I encountered a BSOD on my laptop some months ago, but I never paid much attention to it. Now this 2nd time, I just couldn't sit back and do nothing, especially not after becoming a member of this Lounge. I know there are some crazy smart people here on this forum, and I'm sincerely hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance for any help offered guys. I truly appreciate it.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It's quite possible the HAL Error 12 is responsible for DNS error as well.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028443 checking for a BIOS update at your computer vendor support site should resolve the HAL error.

If there isn't an update, or you already have it - it may allow you to re-flash it or resetting the BIOS and then try the BIOS re-flash again.

Thanks
    I'm not sure if you remember Sudo, but I already posted a thread on this forum requesting advice regarding a BIOS update. Most of you suggested back then to not flash the BIOS if there weren't any problems, as it could create NEW problems. So I held off. Now, I still feel a little bit skeptical, so I thought I'll maybe keep it as a last resort, and see if anyone else can offer more suggestions.

BTW Congrats on becoming a Bronze Lounger
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, that's what MS suggest to resolve the HAL error and as you now have problems, then I would follow MS's advice on this.

It's the BIOS that tell Windows what drivers to load and if it has become corrupt for some reason, then that could also cause the DNS error.

When flashing the BIOS on a laptop it's essential that you have both the battery and AC connected because if it's interrupted, it will most probably brick the laptop.

Thanks for the Congrats - hadn't noticed

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    maligo

Considering what is posted previously in this thread I think it is clear that you need to upgrade your laptop's BIOS.

However, take particular care that you download/upgrade your laptop's BIOS accurately - i.e.: make very sure that the BIOS upgrade you download/install really does apply to your particular laptop.

There should be a label on the underside of your laptop which should allow you to identify the exact model of your unit, hence which (if any) BIOS update you should download/apply.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back

Thanks
    Also, if you do decide to update the BIOS, make sure your power supply is plugged in to the wall outlet. You could brick your laptop if you lose power in the middle of a BIOS update.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Having multiple windows open [not multiple tabs in the browser] plus an older Mahjong game running has caused a couple of lockups on my 8GB Win7. Looking at the memory use in Task Manager has shown the issues occur when Firefox gets over about 600MB, problem goes away when closing and Restoring Firefox.

Thanks
    @Sudo, Coochin, Jerry and Berton

Thanks for your responses. I'm going to let the laptop's battery charge overnight and flash the BIOS tomorrow. Today, I'm gonna make a full image of my PC and then backup my entire User Profile folder. Don't want to take a chance when it comes to my data. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It's quite possible the HAL Error 12 is responsible for DNS error as well.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028443 checking for a BIOS update at your computer vendor support site should resolve the HAL error.

If there isn't an update, or you already have it - it may allow you to re-flash it or resetting the BIOS and then try the BIOS re-flash again.
    I'm curious: How does a memory error cause a network error?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Drivers are loaded into memory and if there's a problem with the BIOS that tells Windows what to load, then that could lead to them not being loaded properly.

Let us know if you still have the DNS problem after the BIOS flash and then we can look at that as a separate issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Drivers are loaded into memory and if there's a problem with the BIOS that tells Windows what to load, then that could lead to them not being loaded properly.

Let us know if you still have the DNS problem after the BIOS flash and then we can look at that as a separate issue.
    Oh, I get it now. Thanks . I shall perform the upgrade in a few days time as I'm quite busy for the next few days. I shall inform you as soon as I (hopefully, successfully) perform the upgrade.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to let the laptop's battery charge overnight and flash the BIOS tomorrow.
    ALL the recommendations by Notebook/Laptop vendors/makers I've seen said to keep the computer plugged into the power source and not rely on the battery charge lasting long enough.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    About a year after I got this laptop, had a message from Toshiba Tempro that there was a BIOS upgrade so installed it even though I had no problems, but was painless as it had its own Wizard.

@Berton - the recommendations that I have seen, recommend both battery and AC - this Tosh prompted to have those connected before it went ahead with that BIOS update on here.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-26 at 09:20.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast