Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Just make sure you don't touch any of the pins or components on the modules with your fingers.

Before I remove them, I always touch the kitchen cold water tap to discharge any possible static in my body in the absence of an ASD strap.

Edit -

After you have cleaned the modules but before you run the memtest, run HWM again to see what the temps are after it has cooled.
    Thanks for those ideas. It's nearly 11pm here and I have to get up for college tomorrow, so I'll do all the spring cleaning tomorrow evening. Once again, thanks to all for their valued opinions.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In that case, check the temps shortly after booting up tomorrow.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought gold didn't tarnish.
    George

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But then there's the cleaning of gold jewelry that keeps help keep jewelers in business. Most all electronic devices attract minute dust particles, I remove the modules and blow the slots out with canned air. Pure gold is probably too soft for use in moveable parts so for durability metal parts are plated with gold.

Thanks
    Finally got around to conducting the memory tests. Here's what I did:

1. Cleaned out the memory contacts with a hard white eraser.
    2. Put back only one chip and ran Windows Memory Diagnostics around 8 times.
    3. No error.
    4. Removed the 1st chip and inserted the 2nd one.
    5. Ran WMD again 8 times. No errors.
    6. Put both back in and ran WMD. Obviously, no errors again.

So that definitely means my memory is fine. Also, Sudo told me to take a look at the system temps cleaning out the memory. Here is the report:

Capture.PNG
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    I thought gold didn't tarnish.
    Gold certainly does tarnish - it just takes longer than for silver or other metals.

If you look closely at the contacts on a RAM chip that has been in use for a lengthy period of time (more than 1 year), then use the white pencil rubber method to clean them, as explained in my previous post, you should notice that the contacts are noticeably brighter and more "mirror-like".

It is not so much the dust that builds up, as the repeated heating/cooling during normal use. Also, humidity levels vary season-to-season and day-to-night. Here in SE Queensland we tend to have high humidity levels during summer, which is also when I most often have to clean customers' RAM contacts.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Finally got around to conducting the memory tests. Here's what I did...
    etc.

HWMonitor readings look good to me.

It would be a good idea to run a chkdsk repair scan on your Windows partition, to check for (and try to repair) any data-corruption. *If* there was a problem with tarnished RAM contacts then it is quite likely that there is such data-corruption.

In an elevated Command Prompt window (Start/All Programs/Accessories right-click on Command Prompt then left-click on "Run as Administrator") type:

chkdsk c: /r

then press Enter. After a short pause you will see a message that you need to restart the computer to allow the scan to run; go ahead and restart.

The chkdsk scan might take 30 minutes or more depending on the partition size and how much data you have stored.

If you don't see any more BSODs after running the chkdsk scan then you should be good to go.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you had any more problems since the BIOS flash ?

If those are temps as soon as you've switched on then the laptop may benefit from a blow out with a can of compressed air.

I would preferred to have seen GPU temps but your laptop doesn't appear to have a sensor for that unless the GPU is integral with the CPU.

Run this Furmark stress test for ~20 mins and if the on screen temps rise above 70, stop the test - and it definitely would benefit from a blow out. http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Also blow over the keyboard as some laptops draw air in through the keyboard and over time dust can accumulate in between the keys.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. However, I'll be needing my laptop for the next few days; have loads of assignments. So, unfortunately, I'll not be able to put it through diagnostics. Maybe in the weekend, I'll get around to running chkdsk.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234