Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I am using Office 2013, installed as a Click To Run package.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    by the way, I came upon one other interesting search result indicating that in Windows 8.1 it will only index OneNote files when the OneNote application is open. So I tried that and sure enough with the OneNote application open, the total items indexed increase by over 8000 and I was able to finally see Microsoft one note entries in a charms search. I wonder why that is necessary to have the Microsoft one note application open? If I remember correctly, this was not necessary in Windows 7. Windows search 4 with index PST and Microsoft one note files whether the application was open or not.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry to say it, that doesn't make sense to me and I find it should be classified the same way the original statement about OneNote files not being indexed in Windows 8.1 - highly dubious.

That said, I can't say whether my OneNote was open or closed during my own experience. OneNote and Outlook are the office apps I use the most and thus they are usually open, but I can't say whether I closed then during the night, over which my laptop was left on to allow the indexing to complete.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What can I say? It does seem hard to believe, but here are a couple of links for you to check. The first is from slipstick indicating that Windows 8 does not support Outlook searches.

The second link is from a Outlook Developer who claims that window search will only index OneNote files that are open. As I mentioned before, this surprises me as this was not the way it was in Windows 7.

All I know is that once I opened my OneNote files my items indexed increase by 8000 items and using the search charm, I started finding search entries from onenote. But if you read the developer's answer then the next time I want to search OneNote using the search charms, Windows search will not find any OneNote entries if OneNote is closed. I haven't tested to see if this is true.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't know how truthful the OneNote thing really is, as I stated before. About Outlook, if a add-on is able to search, it seems the problem is not the indexing the but the native Windows 8 search feature. It may make it worthwhile to add the start button add-on, if that is a feature that you deem valuable.

I confess I mostly search from within OneNote and Outlook, and the fact that I keep most my notebooks stored in OneDrive, doesn't allow them to be indexed anyway, so searching from within OneNote is really the most effective way for me.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui - I appreciate the help you had provided to me. The conversation was very useful.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to follow these instruction, but when I open the advanced configuration, I fine a listing of something like a hundred extensions - all checked - as marked as "index properties only". Since I do not know what files many of the extensions are related to (some are images, for example), I wonder if it would be "safe" to change ALL of them to "index properties and contents"...

I am trying to attach the image, but don't know if I am being successful...

Please advise. Thank you!

AdvancedOptions.png

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Open Indexing options in control panel, choose Advanced, then File Types tab. Scroll down to the OneNote file types and for each one, choose the option to Index Properties and File Contents. After doing this for the multiple OneNote file types, choose Ok. The index will need to be rebuilt, which is bound to take some time, but it should solve your problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You need to decide which documents do you want to have the contents indexed. If you let us know, maybe we can provide help with the extensions you need.

As far as I can tell, Windows won't allow you to do that for more than one extension at a time.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12