Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    RG,
    in response to your question:
    How can you have minus sales?
    This happens when your expenses exceed the amount of money you make on the sales. The sales figures must not be gross but must include some decrease for expenses (but whether Margin I, Margin II, etc is not indicated)..

Steve

Thanks
    Steve,

Granted I got my accounting degree 44 years ago but then Sales were Sales all related expenses were reported elsewhere on the Income Statement, even returns for that matter. I'm just sayin'...
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG,
    I have no accounting degree (nor do I try to play one here), so I do not get bogged down in where those expenses are

What you say makes sense. In my limited knowledge (being a development chemist and often trying to stay away from sales and marketing) it makes sense that sales are the dollars a company would get for selling material. The cost of raw materials, costs to manufacture, the costs of the staff (sales, marketing, development, etc) would all be subtracted from those gross sales, to get some idea of the profit (or loss). [For me I think of it all as black box. Money comes in from various sources and money leaves from various sources. We tweak the dials on the box to try and make the money coming in greater than the money going out...]

I can work with positive or negative "sales", as mentioned I have more a question on what is being compared. and what the + and - in the change represents...

Steve

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdckapr View Post
    RG,
    I can work with positive or negative "sales", as mentioned I have more a question on what is being compared. and what the + and - in the change represents...
    Steve
    Steve,

We're on the same page there!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gentleman,

Column A & B are the numbers that are given to me. Column "C", what last years sales were is what I am trying to determine. Steve, to your question as to what does the percentage , column B, represent is " the change up or down from Last years Sales number", and that is what I want to produce in column C using the two givens of A &B.

Currently in column c and beyond is just showing the results with the formulas I have tried, and Yes NONE work, so what formula do either of you suggest that would give me the coerrect number in "c"

Thanks for all the effort here guys... You are truly a great support team!!

Thanks
    How can you know what works or does not work if you don't know what the TRUE values are

Based on your description, it should be the technique suggested by RG in his first reply, only including the 1 [we both presumed that 106.8% was actually meant to be 6.8% with the 1 already added, but that does not seem to be accurate]. This formula would be:
    =A5/(1+B5)

This presumes that the percentage change is calculated by:
    =(ThisYear-LastYear)/LastYear
    =ThisYear / LastYear - 1

Steve
    PS and all of last year's sales are Positive so it should make the accountant in RG happy!
    Last edited by sdckapr; 2014-07-29 at 18:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Steve, RG

Thanks... That works great... Sorry for all the confusion!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12