New Lounger
    Thanks

Whatever Happened to Ultra-Troublesome patch 2862330?

Hi all,

Just a quick question that I have tried and tried to answer myself before bothering the forum. I've looked everywhere (inside and out of Win Secrets) for an update on patch number 2862330, that troublesome thing that caused bluescreens and widespread USB functionality failures when it was first released. It lived on Susan Bradley's 'Problem Patch Chart' for ages then simply dropped off in 10th July 2014 edition of Win Secrets. It just disappeared and there was no mention of it in the text of June and July'14 issues. Anybody know if Susan now deems it safe? Why would she drop it off the chart without an update on it. I've still got it waiting in my 'hidden updates' section on Win Update. It killed my USB ports cold about 6 months ago so I'm very wary of re-installing it now without Susan's blessing. Many thanks to anyone who knows - Brian.
    A fool TELLS me his ideas, a wise man PERSUADES me with mine ~ Aristotle.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply Joe - much appreciated. I don't know how I missed it - it was sitting in it's own little section marked 'Wait' of course. I think I just looked for it in the numerical series where I expected to see it. Funny nothing came up with a search result though. I wonder why Susan dropped it off the normal chart - it is STILL a VERY dangerous patch (see below)

So where does it leave us with that one. Obviously MS created it for a reason which I assume is still a valid reason - how do we find out what the progress of the fix is or if MS even cares? I did a Shadowprotect image last night and then reloaded the patch. It completely hosed all of my USB functionality. Disgusting of MS. No problem - I just reloaded my safe image and on my way again. Does Susan constantly contact MS about these deadly patches to see if they have developed a fix or what? How does she know when development is happening?

Cheers, Brian.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDH View Post
    Why would she drop it off the chart without an update on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDH View Post
    I wonder why Susan dropped it off the normal chart - it is STILL a VERY dangerous patch (see below)
    Because six months is her limit for listing ANY patch in the newsletter chart; then they just disappear without a word.

I don't think anyone but her has ever been able to figure out the logic of it, when the chart doesn't even specify that.

Suggestions have been made ... and ignored, e.g.:

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    As a suggestion ... I would recommend that rather than just dropping a KB from the list (for example 2603229) thet you indicate that you are dropping it (positive feedback). I would prefer that you positively identify what you think we should do with the "drop" ... So maybe we need other categories ... maybe "Dropping/Likely safe to install." "Dropping/Likely not safe to install."

And then the following month the item is no longer listed.
    Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-07-28 at 02:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce,
    Many thanks for your reply. That post you quoted by "Aussie" makes a lot of common sense. It is the old thing I suppose: "if something is worth doing it is worth doing properly". By placing all the important 'pending' patches into a separate category (instead of dropping them unceremoniously off the list) at least we'd know where they are and could keep an eye on them for status updates. Simply dropping them off into oblivion makes little sense, especially without an explanation of the latest feedback from MS on them. If they were important enough for MS to release in the first place then whatever they were meant to fix will still need fixing - I assume. I don't know when Aussie posted that but quite obviously there was no-one listening who could change things. Shame, as Aussie looks like he gave it good thought and summed it up perfectly. Do you know if Susan reads the patch section here in the Lounge? Cheers, Brian.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The various authors often look at responses to their columns. However, they often do not respond directly. They sometimes read the regular forums too.

As to the Patch Watch list, Ms. Bradley provides & maintains the list as a service to Loungers. I'm not so sure about any 6 month "drop time" as
    there are patches well over a year old on the master list. Confusion can ensure when patches are part of a Microsoft security bulletin. A security bulletin may contain many different patches. You need to reference the security bulletin for a list of all the patches as is noted in the master list.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. I understand what you say. Just didn't think the security bulletin number was important - always referenced the particular KB. Oh well, I suppose we'll just keep an eye out for any reinstatement of KB2862330 on the weekly chart and hope Susan keeps us updated when MS deems it appropriate to fix. in the meantime let's hope it isn't supposed to be protecting us from some sort of hacking ingress from which those of us without it installed will be unprotected. Don't get me wrong, as a lifetime member of Windows Secrets I applaud and support all of the wonderful columnists who give of their time to create the newsletters. I can't imagine patch management without Windows Secrets with which to refer - I don't know how people do without Susan's advice each time! I'm not complaining just trying to understand and get clarity. Thanks again, Joe and Bruce, for helping explain.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Microsoft already deems it appropriate to install. Ms. Bradley is very conservative when it comes to Windows kernel fixes. Even more so when problems have been reported. This patch was originally released in October 2013 and then updated in January 2014. It appears from the comment in the master patch list there are still ongoing problems with the patch. Do you know if you tried to install the January version to this patch?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I didn't know the patch was 'reissued' in January. I can't say for sure which version I loaded that hosed my USB ports. Over the next few days I'll find the time to image my system and load the patch from Win Update and see what happens. Hopefully all will be good and I'll carry on without having to revert to the image. Very interesting they reissued it - as you say MS are happy now with the patch. Also very interesting Susan still deems it to be a worry, obviously based on subscriber feedback. I'll post back here as soon as I've tried it. BTW I'm running Win7 Pro SP1 with all other patches and a mix of USB 2.0 and 3. I'll post back ASAP. Cheers, Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    See the post from January 16th, 2014 by Jose Posada at Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2862330) failed to install . It contains steps to get a problematic patch installed.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not so sure about any 6 month "drop time" as there are patches well over a year old on the master list.
    I was referring to the newsletter chart (as that's what most people read and is what was referenced initially in this thread), not the master chart:

Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    6 months is my cut off time for listing it.
    Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    See the post from January 16th, 2014 by Jose Posada at Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2862330) failed to install . It contains steps to get a problematic patch installed.

Joe
    Thanks for the link to that little story Joe. Quite interesting but I couldn't see where it has been resolved or satisfactorily solved by MS. Still a machine or 3 that has issues with it, even after the reissue of the patch in Jan'14! I won't risk it - I'll do as I said and install the patch after a ShadowProtect system image is taken so I can revert easily if it hoses my system. I'll post back with the results. May not be for a fair few days though. Cheers, Brian.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since there have been no more updates to the KB since January Microsoft thinks it is resolved (at least to their satisfaction). Microsoft seldom does more than update the KB article when they believe a problem with a patch is fixed. When they do more than update the article that means the problem was severe and widespread. It must not have been widespread in this case. With the large user base that Windows has even a "small" problem can mean millions of PCs. When dealing with kernel updates there will likely be a small subset of users who have problems with the update and can never get it installed. Even a company as large as Microsoft can never test all the possible hardware and software combinations that exist.

Your plan to image the system before trying to install the patch again is wise. Good luck with it.

Joe