3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wrong Pages printing two-sided (Word 2010)

I've got a four page Word document that I've used before and whose formatting I've used hundreds of times. For some reason I can't figure out, it's printing the wrong pages when set to print both sides (one sided is ok). If I print pages 2-3, it prints 3-4; if I print 1-2, it prints 1-3. In the preview pane (right), the pages show correctly. The first page ends with a section break (next page); the second with a page break; and the third with a section break (next page). When I delete the first page, the rest prints correctly two-sided. As an experiment, I took a similarly formatted document that prints pages 2-3 correctly two-sided, and swapped in its first page. The same thing happened again. I've got the formatting marks showing, but don't see anything unusual. This is the Office 2010 Home & Student version of Word and the document is saved in 1997-2003 style (.doc). Anyone come across this before or have an idea? Thanks,

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The problem may be due to an imprecise way of defining the page number. For instance, if your second section restarts the page numbers then there may be more than one page 1.

Have you tried specifying the page number including the section numbers to avoid this issue?
    eg p2s1-p3s2
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good point. How would I do that? Right now, I do have a header on the second page of section 2 (after a page break), but am not showing page numbers. At the bottom of the screen, it shows the pages 1 to 4 as one would expect, although one time just now it showed 5 pages, but I can't replicate that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you see the page and section number in the left side of the status bar? The status bar is the grey band at the bottom of the window. If you can't see the section and/or page info, right click the status bar and ensure there is a tick next to 'Section' and 'Page number'.

Now go to the pages you want to print and make note of the section & page numbers for those pages. Then you specify the pages you want to print explictly by including the section number.

If you are still having problems using this method you may want to look at
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/mic...of-a-document/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826218
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I didn't have section checked on the status bar. However, printing didn't work as the links you provided show. The two pages I wanted show on the status bar as section 2 page 2 and section 2 page 3 (i.e., p2s2-p3s2). All it did was print page 3 and left the other side blank. Then I guessed that what it really wanted was the page numbering to start over, i.e., p1s2-p2s2, and that got me what I wanted. Screwy. thanks,
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-07-28 at 19:50.