Lounger
    Thanks

Office Online, Win7, "Open With" command not working...

So I got my wife a new Lenovo desktop. (she insisted on having me downgrade to Windows 7 as she hates Windows 8). I decided I'd have her use the Cloud version of Word, through Outlook.com. I get everything running, and she is working on documents, but now when she clicks on any Word document that she has stored on her local machine, it can't open it with Word online. No way to make that happen. I went to Word online, and there is no way to even open a document that isn't stored in the cloud. Is this real? Does this mean I have to install an Office 365 to make this work? Or is it even possible anymore?

I'm sort of surprised at this. Can't imagine what the product team was thinking.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by alf hanna; 2014-07-28 at 12:03.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, so since no one has answered this, here's what I found. Outlook.com's Word cannot merge or work with your local files. Word 2013 was able to integrate the cloud and the desktop. Really a pain to figure this all out, since there's no way to find this out apparently in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Alf

That sounds like a painful way to find out a very significant shortcoming of Word Online. Are you able to move the local files onto the 'cloud' so they can be edited there or is that also not possible?

I haven't used Word online so I don't have anything useful to add to your knowledge.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The former one is free to use right? If so, Microsoft doesn't want to make it "too" easy to use that for all editing versus the subscription version.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Thanks Andrew. Yes I could have but the person who uses this machine, my wife, does not have the patience to find where the files are located. She's been trained by MSFT for over 15 years to put them on her local machine, and could care less if people want her to move them somewhere else.

And as to MSFT not making it easy because it's free, well, if you don't like something that's free, why on earth would you pay for it? LOL here.

al