New Lounger
    Thanks

Encrypt External & Flash Drives

I have an HP laptop running Win 8.1 and I've been trying to find Bitlocker to encrypt a couple of external drives and a bunch of flash drives. The Win Help file drives me through to the PC Info screen and there I'm supposed to be able to set up data encryption via Data Encryption. Um, no. It's just an HP info screen that allows me to change the computer's name and change the Product Key. That's it.

I'm stuck. Suggestions?

Thanks
    Hello CanTex:

As Microsoft's Bitlocker is available on Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 8.1 Enterprise editions only, what is the full and exact edition of your computer's OS?

Reference: Bitlocker Drive Encryption

HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PW View Post
    Hello CanTex:

As Microsoft's Bitlocker is available on Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 8.1 Enterprise editions only, what is the full and exact edition of your computer's OS?

Reference: Bitlocker Drive Encryption

HTH
    Ah-HA! This is a Costco HP special, Properties says Windows 8.1 64 bit, and it has received all its MS updates.

Now, why in the world would MS restrict Bitlocker to Pro and Enterprise editions? Are they afraid mere mortals might lock themselves out or something?

Can anyone suggest a suitable method of encryption using software from a company that is likely to be still around next week?

Thanks for your help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Microsoft made the marketing decision that Bitlocker is a professional business feature not to be included in the "home" SKUs.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been re-reading some of the columns on encryption and am as confused ever. This one doesn't work with Win 8 and that one creates virtual partitions, etc. What do the experts use these days? Remember, external and flash drives, not the main PC - that's my goal.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    I would look into this: http://softarchive.net/blogs/mike476..._a.931722.html

...yes I know there is a controversy around it so do your own research then decide.

But AFAIK this is a trusted source for the last "good" version.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's interesting. Lincoln Spector suggests only existing users of TruCrypt should continue to use it and new users should use one of his other suggestions.

Maybe what I need to start with password-protecting the drives until the drive encryption business sorts itself out. Can I do password-protect drives with Windows, or does that require other software?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
    Ah-HA! This is a Costco HP special, Properties says Windows 8.1 64 bit, and it has received all its MS updates.
    If it interests you, $99.99USD upgrades your undisclosed edition of Windows 8.1 64-bit to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit which natively has the supported Bitlocker with on-going fixes/updates.

All your present settings, data/documents and applications should go undisturbed.

However, you would do well to create a full system backup prior to the upgrade, and on a scheduled basis thereafter.

Cheers.