2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Config Settings for i7

Saw on You Tube that you can use the advanced MS Config settings and tell windows how many cores to use on boot up. Is this harmful and why doesn't windows "just use them"

Thanks

Thanks
    Some people swear by this tweak, if you can call it that, but I think it is of no use whatsoever to the average user.
    Leave the settings in MSCONFIG at their default. Windows 7 will utilize all cores as needed as readily shown by taskmanager.

If you have upgraded your processor from a single core to a multi-core processor with the same OS installation, it
    may be needed to adjust this setting, if for some reason W7 it doesn't detect the extra cores, otherwise it's not normally used except for diagnostic purposes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    That "tweak" is used on multi-core systems to restrict the number of cores/processors for diagnostic purposes. Sometimes, Windows or an individual program may have issues when running on fewer cores than were used when written. During the boot process Windows starts off using one core/processor for those activities where more than one is not useful. The remaining cores/processors are activated when appropriate during the boot process.

Unless you have a specific diagnostic reason just leave the setting alone.

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2014-08-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I "have" noticed an improvement, but maybe that's because I "wished" to see them. Howvever, you are right; that blazing speed increase didn't happen.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A solid state disk will make a significant difference in reducing my boot, swapping, installation and upgrade speeds. 64GB drives can be purchase for under $50.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies. My son has an SSD on his i7 rig and there is no doubt about its speed. What I am observing is that even though the motherboard does not wear out in the traditional sense, things start to choke and gawk over time. It is the traditional race between hardware and software. My X58 motherboard works perfectly okay and nothing is showing any signs of the usual failures, but the refresh rate for certain applications is getting worse and worse.

There is also the matter of the video card and a lot of other things but that's okay because under certain conditions, is still runs pretty quickly.

Again, thanks to all of you for your responses.