Thanks

Right-click -> Stack By alternatives?

I'm posting this question on behalf of my friend, whose music library currently has around 760 songs in it, with ZERO subfolders. Yup that's right, all 760 songs are in ONE folder. The dude was too lazy to organize his music into proper folders and chose to dump everything into the poor, unsuspecting Music folder. Result: A severely bloated folder that takes eons to load. He asked me to help sort it out for him. I screamed at him and gave him a 1 hour lecture on file and folder organization after which, told him I'd help him find a solution. Now, the problem is, if this were Vista, I could have just right-clicked inside the Music folder, chosen "Stack By" and just chosen either the Album or Artist option. I've personally, chosen this option like once, that too accidentally, so I was quite surprised to find this option missing on his Win7 PC. I couldn't even find it on my own Win7 PCs. Are there any third party apps that can help to create folders based on certain attributes like File name, Artist or Album, and then move all files matching that criteria into their respective folders? I always used to think that the entire "Virtual Folder" option was lazy and discouraged people from even remotely caring about file/folder organization, but now, I wish I had it back.

TIA for any help offered!
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to the "view" tab where you will find dozens of choices in the "sort by" or "group by" options. You could then create folders for the sorted results if desired.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    Go to the "view" tab where you will find dozens of choices in the "sort by" or "group by" options. You could then create folders for the sorted results if desired.
    I don't think you understood my main post. What I meant, was that I wanted to put the 760 songs or so into folders. Those songs belong to, at the very least, 500 albums! Since it's impossible to create folders, I was wondering if there was any program that could automate this task for me...
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Since it's impossible to create folders
    I'm afraid I STILL don't understand what you're trying to do.
    ??Put each song in its own folder??
    ??Put each artist in their own folder??
    ??Each album??

WHY is it impossible to create folders??

Zig

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    MediaMonkey will do exactly what you want using the Auto-Organize option. Did I mention it's also free?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    I'm afraid I STILL don't understand what you're trying to do.
    ??Put each song in its own folder??
    ??Put each artist in their own folder??
    ??Each album??

WHY is it impossible to create folders??

Zig
    Let me make this even more clear. I want to create folders inside my friend's Music folder, each one bearing the name of an Album. I then want to find all songs belonging to that Album and put it into that Album's folder. Here's an example:

1) Consider 3 Snoop Dogg songs in the folder. Let's make them: "I Can't Swim", "Wrong Idea" and "Vapors".
    2) The first two songs are from the album, "Tha Last Meal" and the 3rd one is from "Tha Doggfather".
    3) Now I want to create a "Tha Last Meal" folder and "Tha Doggfather" folder and put the 1st two songs in the 1st folder and the 3rd song in the other folder.

Simple, eh? Unfortunately I have to help my friend sort out 760+ songs in this manner. That means I have to look at all the albums present, then create folders for ALL those albums, and then pick out each song that belongs to that album, and then Cut-Paste every song and put it into its album's folder! As that is nearly impossible to accomplish for 760+ songs, I just wanted to use Right Click --> Stack By and create virtual folders based on Album names. But since that option isn't available in Win 7, I started this thread looking for alternatives.

I swear I just cannot be more clearer than this.
    Last edited by KritzX; 2014-07-31 at 06:06.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    MediaMonkey will do exactly what you want using the Auto-Organize option. Did I mention it's also free?

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for your suggestion Paul. I've heard of MediaMonkey but is there any way to accomplish this automatic folder-creation process from within Explorer?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Administrator
    Thanks
    There is no automatic method for creating folders within Explorer. Also, Explorer does not have the analytic capability required to group files in the manner you want. You need a third party program such as MediaMonkey which can do the analysis required to associate files and group them.

Joe

Thanks
    Thank you for your reply Joe. Right then, I guess I have to tell my friend to download MediaMonkey to deal with his music. Hope he's diligent about file/folder organisation from now on.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    I swear I just cannot be more clearer than this.
    Got it. I agree you need a 3rd party program such as Media Monkey, because what you're trying to do is to organize the songs by their ID3 tags.

Zig

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    With MediaMonkey you don't have to be diligent, it does it all for you. The only thing it doesn't do is back itself up, but you can get a script/add-on to do that.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The only thing it doesn't do is back itself up.
    What do you mean by "back itself up?"
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    MM has a database of your music and it doesn't re-build easily, so unless you know what to backup and restore post re-installation you may be mighty unhappy. The extension "Backup" creates a self repairing backup, just run it after the re-install.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    MM has a database of your music and it doesn't re-build easily, so unless you know what to backup and restore post re-installation you may be mighty unhappy. The extension "Backup" creates a self repairing backup, just run it after the re-install.

cheers, Paul
    Oh okay. Got it now.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett