Thread: ADW cleaner

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ADW cleaner

The ADW site seems to have been hijacked. I downloaded a fresh copy of adw win 8.01 blocked the installation as a malicious program.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use the @BleepingComputer download link in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ and while Windows Smart Firewall (Win 7) warned that it wasn't normally downloaded and could harm my computer, Norton 360 reported it as Safe and it ran without any problems after I used the Actions/More options in the warning to run it anyway.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ADW Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I use the @BleepingComputer download link in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ and while Windows Smart Firewall (Win 7) warned that it wasn't normally downloaded and could harm my computer, Norton 360 reported it as Safe and it ran without any problems after I used the Actions/More options in the warning to run it anyway.
    Thank you for the quick reply. I turned off Action center (lowest setting) win 8.1 still blocking ADW

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One of the more informed with Win 8.1 may be able to help with that but scroll down the BleepingComputer page and see if you can run Junkware Removal Tool.

This takes longer to run but will produce its report on completion.

Thanks
    Just a friendly word of caution.

Thisisu's excellent Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) is frequently used with the close guidance of a Malware Removal professional and usually after that helper has assessed the system with other passive diagnostic tools. The system owner must be made to understand that JRT takes no quarantine safety actions and all deletions are not very simple to reverse.

The same unguided precautions hold true for Xplode's AdwCleaner but a quarantine safety step is always present.

Please do not let me diminish the value of these popular and excellent applications. But please do be aware of the possible consequences when used in an unguided manner.

HTH
    All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How to Run Files & Bypass the SmartScreen Filter?

What about Windows 8 – how do you convince Windows Explorer to run a file you know it is legitimate and not harming to your computer?

Below the text of the warning, there is a link called “More Info”. Click on it.

You are now shown a bit of info about the file you are about to run, such as the publisher and the name of the program. Plus, you get the Run Anyway button.

Click on it and the file is now run.

What is the SmartScreen Filter & How Does it Work?

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PW View Post
    Just a friendly word of caution.

Thisisu's excellent Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) is frequently used with the close guidance of a Malware Removal professional and usually after that helper has assessed the system with other passive diagnostic tools. The system owner must be made to understand that JRT takes no quarantine safety actions and all deletions are not very simple to reverse.

The same unguided precautions hold true for Xplode's AdwCleaner but a quarantine safety step is always present.

Please do not let me diminish the value of these popular and excellent applications. But please do be aware of the possible consequences when used in an unguided manner.

HTH
    JRT creates a back up first and while I've successfully run it and it found very little to remove, I've never had to use its restore, but creating your own restore point before downloading/running it is always an option as a safeguard - but your warning is something to consider before running JRT.