New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Recover Photos after Full Factory Recovery ?

Hello,
    Can I recover photos from Windows 7 after having performed a Full Factory Recovery ?
    Thank you,
    Inexorable

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Sigh....I'm sorry Inexorable, but it's very, very difficult (if not impossible), to recover data after a full factory reset. Anyways, here's what I'd suggest:

1) DO NOT save anything, modify anything, or install anything on the PC.
    2) Try using a data recovery program to recover your pics. Here are a few suggestions:

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
    Recuva

Also I found THIS article on recovering data after a factory reset.

If none of these options work, and the photos are very valuable, then I'm afraid you're going to have to look into professional data recovery.

Whatever happens, please BACK UP your data regularly. Even better, CREATE IMAGES on a regular basis (excuse the caps). Either or both of these options are more economical, time-saving and far, far easier to deal with than data recovery programs.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    UPDATE: I was browsing the Web for data recovery software and landed on this:

TestDisk

This seems to be quite effective at recovery data in many cases. Read the instructions at the above link very carefully though. Also, you can try Lazesoft Recovery Suite.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your prompt reply
    I have installed new browsers, some programs, etc., thus made changes....

My question: if I do attempt to recover photos, ie. w/Recuva, would the present condition of my PC be compromised or subject to hackers' threats ?
    Thank you,
    Inexorable

Thanks
    No, using a recovery software wouldn't compromise the integrity of your system. However, the number of changes you made could compromise the effectiveness of the recovery software.

In any case, consider disconnecting your PC from the Internet after downloading the programs. This is to isolate your PC from changes, however, as the way things stand, I don't think it would matter much.

And I reiterate: If those photos are VERY valuable to you, consider professional data recovery immediately. If not, you can proceed with the recovery on your own. I suggest you start with TestDisk and if that doesn't work, try EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

New Lounger
    Thanks

Recover Photos after Full Factory Recovery

thank you for your prompt reply
    I will attempt to recover photos, using programs and order which you suggested
    thank you,
    Inexorable

Thanks
    I like the idea of the LiveCD with Testdisk but it seems to work for DELETED files. The PhotoRec program (same source) can find photos with a signature based search but it is not clear that it is included on any of the live cds listed. The safest\quickest bet is to use a separate computer to install any rescue program and access the drive w/ the wanted photos externally.

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.
    Best of luck Inexorable

Last edited by wavy; 2014-08-03 at 18:30. Reason: Added quote

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your prompt reply...
    I will have to see about borrowing a second computer...
    Inexorable