New Lounger
    Thanks

How to set up new contact list and import CVS file in Windows Live mail

My wife has W7 64 with WLM 2012. She wants to import an email address list from my OE. I got the list onto a flash drive in .cvs format. However, I could not find a way to import that list in WLM. She has 3 books on W7 and I searched for ways to setup a new contacts list and import the list from my computer. Absolutely, nothing in the books or online suggestions work on her system.

For example, one method was: open contacts in WLM, click categories, but there was no place that I could find a categories button.

Another example said that the first suggestion could not be used in WLM 2012 but did work in 2011. Even some suggestions had workarounds for that problem but none works on her computer.

I could not even find a way to set up a new contact list so I could hand type the addresses in.

I am still using XP and OE but had been considering getting W7. But, I find that everytime I try to work on her W7, It is entirely too complicated even if you can find ways to do what she wants.

There must be a way that is as simple as in OE.

Any help appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Click Contacts at bottom left, then Import towards top right on the ribbon, then Comma separated values (.csv): Import contacts in Windows Live Mail

I'm not clear why you want a new contact list though.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks

how to setup a new contact list and import a csv file in windows live mail

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Click Contacts at bottom left, then Import towards top right on the ribbon, then Comma separated values (.csv): Import contacts in Windows Live Mail

I'm not clear why you want a new contact list though.

Bruce
    Thanks for your quick reply. I click on contacts but I do not have anything on the upper right except minimize, maximize and close. Also none of the left side has anything relating to import.

We want to setup my address book on her computer so that I can use it too. thus we need separate adress book contacts lists.

More help needed.

Dean

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What I have done in the past is type Contacts in the Start, Search box [or Start, Run box if you have yours set] and use the resultant window to Import contacts from other sources then open WLM and its Contacts to import. The Windows address book is located at C:\Users\LOGGED IN USER. Double-clicking it should give the Import on the toolbar. The logged-on user may already be listed. And there's more that can be done, quite similar to the Windows Address Book of WinXP such as Contacts Group.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deanvet View Post
    I click on contacts but I do not have anything on the upper right except minimize, maximize and close.
    Click the chevron to the left of help (?) to re-open the ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by deanvet View Post
    We want to setup my address book on her computer so that I can use it too; thus we need separate address book contacts lists.
    I don't think you can have multiple address books in Windows Live Mail (and categories are only for mailing list groups): Multiple addressbooks in Windows Live Mail?

So you would need to login to Windows with your own account if you want a separate address book.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-08-02 at 16:47.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Click the chevron to the left of help (?) to re-open the ribbon.

I don't think you can have multiple address books in Windows Live Mail (and categories are only for mailing list groups): Multiple addressbooks in Windows Live Mail?

So you would need to login to Windows with your own account if you want a separate address book.

Bruce
    Berton & Bruce: Thanks again for your efforts. 1st - There was no chevron to the left of the ? icon but right clicking the area did bring up a window with minimize ribbon checked. When I unchecked that, I got the ribbon which did contain contact, categories and import. I was able to set up a separate contact category for me but when I imported my .csv file from a flash drive, It put everyname into the wife's orginal contact list. However, since my names format was different than hers, I was able to select and copy the list to my category. There was no way to move instead it copied. However, that left all of my names in her list. I went through again and marked all of my names in her list and deleted them. I then found that all of those same names in my new catergory were also deleted. In addition, a message came up and stated that all of those names in other places, wlm, hotmail, messanger and another microsoft email name would also be deleted. I lost only the names in my new category.

So I am back to square 1 and it seems absurd not to be able to do a simple copy paste from one point to another or a direct import to WLM.

I will continue to persue the transfer. I also had a message popup at some point saying that .wab is the prefered file to import to WLM.
    I thought that .wab was dead long ago but I will resurrect my knowledge of .wab and try to transfer that way.

I prefer not to become an account on her computer but I may have to do so.

Berton: I tried yur approach but searching contacts through Start only got me W7 windows explorer which had 2 files. one mine the other my wifes. Each would only let me enter new contacts, one at a time. Your other method using C:\Users\logged in user got me the same 2 files and no import on the tool bar.

Gotta give up for today. My wifes says we are going out for lunch. Please reply with any other ideas.

dean