Thread: onedrive sync

Thanks

onedrive sync

How do I sync and individual file or folder in explorer to onedrive?

In explorer I have a couple of folders I created in the pictures folder that I would like to have them saved to/sync to onedrive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    You should be able to right click the folder, choose, Share with and choose OneDrive. I say you should, because I should too and I can't (I am using 8.1).

Doesn't bother me much, because I think OneDrive is useless for syncing anyway.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Didn't work for me either....I found that the easiest way is just to cut/paste the file/folder you want to sync into onedrive. I sure wish MS would add a right click menu for adding files/folders to Onedrive.

Thanks
    @bassfisher6522:

(With Windows 8.1):

Right-click on a folder, DRAG it into your Onedrive folder, release the mouse button and select "copy" or "move" (as required). The folder is then copied or moved into Onedrive. To enable it to be available on your desktop when off line, right click the folder in the Ondrive folder and select "make available offline" The folder and any files you move or copy into it is then available in Onedrive and on your PC and synced between the two.

Note the difference here: The file or folder must be right-clicked and dragged onto the Onedrive folder, you must not right-click and look for an option to move or copy as in post #2 above.

[B]Alternatively[B] (But this seems unnecessarily complex):
    This might help you (I have not yet tried it for myself, so I do not guarantee that it is the solution you are looking for):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXmpD0wuuI
    Last edited by petesmst; 2014-08-02 at 10:22. Reason: Re-worded to (hopefully) explain better.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    @bassfisher6522:

(With Windows 8.1):

Right-click on a folder, DRAG it into your Onedrive folder, release the mouse button and select "copy" or "move" (as required). The folder is then copied or moved into Onedrive. To enable it to be available on your desktop when off line, right click the folder in the Ondrive folder and select "make available offline" The folder and any files you move or copy into it is then available in Onedrive and on your PC and synced between the two.

Note the difference here: The file or folder must be right-clicked and dragged onto the Onedrive folder, you must not right-click and look for an option to move or copy as in post #2 above.
    You realize you are dismissing Microsoft's own 8.1 F.A.Q?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...edrive-app-faq

I don't use OneDrive to sync folders, but one would expect Microsoft's information to be correct. Seems even that is not sure these days, which goes to show how much they have messed up.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    @ruirib: Well, I can confirm that what I posted consistently works for me(!!) (I have just, once again, created a test folder and placed an image file in it and then dragged (copied) the new folder to Onedrive and flagged it "make available offline; then logged in to Onedrive online and there was the folder! I deleted it in the cloud, returned to my desktop and the folder was no-longer in my onedrive folder as expectd...)
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    @ruirib: Well, I can confirm that what I posted consistently works for me(!!) (I have just, once again, created a test folder and placed an image file in it and then dragged (copied) the new folder to Onedrive and flagged it "make available offline; then logged in to Onedrive online and there was the folder! I deleted it in the cloud, returned to my desktop and the folder was no-longer in my onedrive folder as expectd...)
    I didn't suggest yours didn't, just tried to restate that the advice I gave earlier should work, because it comes from Microsoft itself. I did state it doesn't work for me, though, which was rather surprising. Oh well, it shows how something that could be really useful has been made as unintuitive as possible by Microsoft.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You realize you are dismissing Microsoft's own 8.1 F.A.Q?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...edrive-app-faq
    Where in that FAQ does Microsoft advise how to add a folder to OneDrive?

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Capture.JPG

P.S.: Actually, on re-reading it, it seems this may be relative to files already on OneDrive. I apologize if my posts misled anyone, and will refrain from posting about this. It seems OneDrive integration in Windows 8.1 is even worse than it was in 8 and 7. Progress is always nice, isn't it ?.

It really is frustrating how the 1 TB available with Office365 are basically useless for anyone having their own mind about how folders should be organized in their own computers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I'm slightly confused here. I login to my PC with a local account, but clicking on the gui app for Onedrive doesn't work. However, if I copy/move anything into my Onedrive folder, it copies it to the cloud folder. I can see this by logging in to my outlook.com email account and clicking the down arrow by the Outlook.com name at top left, then selecting Onedrive from the list. I assume that if I had Onedrive on another PC, the files would be synced to that if I had logged into onedrive on it. Or have I missed something?

You could always use mklink to create a symbolic link from the onedrive folder to wherever you save your Office 365 files (or any others). This can be useful if you use more than one cloud service. Dropbox doesn't let you right click and add to the dropbox service any more than MS lets you for onedrive. I assume all these sorts of services are the same.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    It seems OneDrive integration in Windows 8.1 is even worse than it was in 8 and 7.
    What's bad about it?

Copy and paste or drag and drop work fine: Getting started with OneDrive

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    What's bad about it?

Copy and paste or drag and drop work fine: Getting started with OneDrive

Bruce
    The fact that you even need to copy it, which means you will have it duplicated on the original disk.The fact that if you want files synced to one or more computers, you actually need to have the files under OneDrive and thus using the folder hierarchy based on the OneDrive and not one that would you want based on your own desired organization for your folders and documents. The fact that in Windows 8.1 they actually removed the possibility of keeping your own folder and using mlink to link to the correct folder in your desired organization...

We keep going back in terms of possibilities with each new evolution. In Windows 8, at list you could created symbolic links. In Windows 8.1, you can't or, to put it more precisely, you can, but they remain empty and no files are actually copied.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You're right Rui, mklink doesn't work on Skydrive (at least it doesn't seem to). And it's difficult to use it with a local account (though not impossible). Having logged into my live account and moved to skydrive (as I suggested above) you can upload files (it seems only one file at a time). Did some more investigation and my Onedrive folder seemed to be in the old skydrive folder, so wouldn't sync manually.

Changed the folder to default and it created a onedrive folder and asked if I wanted to copy the contents of the skydrive folder to the onedrive one. I said yes. Still wouldn't sync manually, error message is that the server execution failed. When I clicked on the 'make available online only', it said to try again as it was uploading, but I can't find any evidence of this. I don't have a onedrive app in the notification area.

Looking at the help (well, sort of help) it states that the files are in the cloud and not on the PC (to save disk space), though you can mark them to be on the PC.

I assume that I have to login into my PC with my MS account rather than a local account.

Dropbox is so much easier