New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry BSOD after Unplugging USB Wifi Dongle

This only happens when I am transferring files to a flash drive or MP3 player. First I will lose my wifi signal and the Network icon freezes. Then when I unplug the wifi dongle I get a BSOD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Don't just unplug the Dongle. Use the little tray icon to 'safely remove usb device' The dongle probably draws a bit of current and usb can be a bit sensitive. I will let others troubleshoot your connection problems.
    Last edited by wavy; 2014-07-30 at 23:06. Reason: sp

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneomac View Post
    This only happens when I am transferring files to a flash drive or MP3 player. First I will lose my wifi signal and the Network icon freezes. Then when I unplug the wifi dongle I get a BSOD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Provide us with the BSOD error.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Idle power management features on processor 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
    Idle power management features on processor 1 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
    These are prefaced by the following errors each time it happens.
    The system detected that network adapter Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.
    File System Filter 'FileInfo' (6.0, 1/19/2008 12:34:27 AM) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.
    Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service tunnel for Device Instance ID ROOT\*ISATAP\0002 with the following status: 0.
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address ************. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired.. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The minidump log files are found in C:/windows/minidump folder.

The first part should be cut and pasted here, leave the rest off or risk the wrath of a moderator.

An example would be this:

Dump File : 072614-20311-01.dmp
    Crash Time : 7/26/2014 6:21:54 PM
    Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
    Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
    Parameter 2 : 0x82e839e5
    Parameter 3 : 0xb0b829c4
    Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
    Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
    Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+819e5
    File Description : NT Kernel & System
    Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Company : Microsoft Corporation
    File Version : 6.1.7601.18409 (win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
    Processor : 32-bit
    Computer Name :