Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Best Email program

Could someone pleeeese suggest a better program than Windows live mail...I am so sick of it constantly crashing. I have tried reinstalling it a few time with no luck. Its only for home use. I am still on Windows 7. I just want a program thats simple & easy to use.

Thanks Carol

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Windows Live Mail is unlikely to be the issue here. I'm a heavy user of it and I've used it for years on Win 7 and can't recall ever having it crash. I'm sure many others could report similar experiences.

It's more likely the cause of the crashes is to be found in some other aspect of your system (faulty ISP connections and/or other installed software), so switching to another email app might not resolve anything - it might even make it worse.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Have a look at these.....I use Outlook 2013 from Office 2013 Pro Plus as my primary email client. I've also used and like eM Client, Mozilla Thunderbird, Incredimail.

http://email.about.com/od/windowsema...email_prog.htm

http://download.cnet.com/windows/e-mail-software/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Have a look at these.....
    That's all very well, but you're ignoring the basic issue. As I've already said, Windows Live Mail is unlikely to be the issue, so there's no reason to believe replacing it will fix the issue either. Whether the OP can use Outlook 2013 (or any other Outlook version) depends on what edition of Office, if any, is installed. It's also by no means as "simple & easy to use" as Windows Live Mail.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Outlook 2013 is way too complicated, IMHO. I used Windows Live Mail for around 3 years, before making the move to Gmail. And, in all the 3 years I've used it, I recall WLM crashing on me only once, and that was when I mistakenly attached a 30MB Word document to an e-mail and tried to send it. Other than that, WLM was one of the most stable, problem-free e-mail programs I've ever used. Eudora and Outlook never did like me too much, that's the reason I switched to WLM.

However, if you're dead set against WLM, check out Mozilla Thunderbird. Many of my friends are pretty enthusiastic about it.
    Last edited by macropod; 2014-07-31 at 07:25.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    That's all very well, but you're ignoring the basic issue. As I've already said, Windows Live Mail is unlikely to be the issue, so there's no reason to believe replacing it will fix the issue either. Whether the OP can use Outlook 2013 (or any other Outlook version) depends on what edition of Office, if any, is installed. It's also by no means as "simple & easy to use" as Windows Live Mail.
    Yes...that all true...but that's not what the OP was asking for...OP was asking for suggestions for email clients, which I did.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As for a suggestion, I sometimes use SeaMonkey's built-in E-Mail Client to download from my IMAP [Webmail] accounts. SeaMonkey is one of Mozilla's Browsers similar to their Firefox.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raycas View Post
    Could someone pleeeese suggest a better program than Windows live mail...I am so sick of it constantly crashing. I have tried reinstalling it a few time with no luck. Its only for home use. I am still on Windows 7. I just want a program thats simple & easy to use.

Thanks Carol
    WLM is simple and easy to use. The real question is; Why are you crashing it?

In the meantime you'll have plenty of alternative in which to choose from, as to what is the best,
    the answers will be as subjective as the number of other clients that are out there.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just used this free program for a client with a need for something simpler, seems to work fine:
    http://www.oeclassic.com/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks everyone for replies..still no better off. WLM crashes a lot when i try to delete emails & I have to restart the program. I dont know what else is interfering with it.. I do keep computer clean...defrag reguarly, disc clean etc. Carol

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you get any error messages when a crash occurs? If so, that may provide a clue. For example, errors referring to ntdll.dll are usually due to 3rd-arty apps interfering with WLM's operations. In that case, the solution is to remove/repair the 3rd-party app.

If there are no error messages, I'd suggest backing up your Windows Live Mail data files, then uninstalling & reinstalling Windows Live Essentials. Between uninstalling & reinstalling, you may need to use a product like Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner to clear out all registry traces.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    For years, we (at least some of us) used Windows XP and Outlook Express 6 to do all our email.
    Then in Vista there was no more O.E.6 and it was revamped and called Windows Mail. Worked just like O.E.6, on steroids.

But when properly set up, it looked and acted almost exactly like O.E.6 and all was well.

Then MS had a better idea, disabled Windows Mail and basically FORCED all their old OE and Windows Mail users to now use Windows Live Mail.
    I remember the first time I had to install a Windows 7 PC, and set up Windows Live Mail for my customer, he took one look at it and said, "what is that piece of sh** (crap)?"

Well, time has moved on and I've learned how to re-activate Windows mail, on Windows 7, 8 and now on 8.1.
    I still lovingly refer to it as Outlook Express on Steroids.

I now have it activated and I'm using it on my Windows 7 PC and my Windows 8.1 PC and it looks and works just like OE6.

Crashing? I have no idea what that means! I've never seen such a thing....ever!
    And I'm not talking about one or two PC's, but ten of my own and hundreds of my customers.

I'd only have to guess, that if any email program is Crashing, it was never set up properly or it's being used in an erroneous manner. But I'd have to look at it myself, to make sure.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Well, time has moved on and I've learned how to re-activate Windows mail, on Windows 7, 8 and now on 8.1.
    Any chance of sharing that knowledge?
    Hawk

Thanks
    Yes, but if I give the details here, some Grand Poobah will tell me I'm violating forum rules.

So all I can say is that I found the secret on the internet. Google it?
    That's where I found it.

good luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I understand. Thanks!
    Unfortunately, everything I've read says it's not possible past Vista.
    Last edited by Hawk; 2014-08-14 at 15:09.
    Hawk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast