Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

MalwareBytes takes top honors in malware removal test

Hey Y'all,

Read about it here. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Note:
    All of the samples used were already known to the removal applications, so the primary purpose of the test was efficiency in detection, complete removal, and restoration
    The test didn't cover the ability to detect malware, only the ability to remove it once detected. Since they stated that the malware samples used were known to the programs, it was strange that MSE didn't detect one sample and Avira missed two.

Jerry

Thanks
    In my (admittedly not recent) testing of MSE, it was always sloooow to detect some obvious malware, to the point where it was much quicker for me to open the folder containing the file to trigger an MSE check, whereupon the alarms would go off and the file would vanish. And that was after a 'full' scan ...

Thanks
    I'll never forgive MSE for letting a Flash backdoor through to my Windows 7 PC. Since then, I completely lost faith in MSE and I've been an avid user of MalwareBytes Premium.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    While I like the pro version it does have a tendency to give false positives and sometimes on important files..

I make sure it's set to NOTIFY first..

AVG also gives a lot of false positives for important files and I have that set the same way.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    While I like the pro version it does have a tendency to give false positives and sometimes on important files..

AVG also gives a lot of false positives for important files and I have that set the same way.
    Apologize for the obvious question, but are you sure those are really false positives? I've been using MalwareBytes Premium for a long time on 3 machines, and I've yet to spot a false positive. Ah well, I guess every PC isn't the same.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Yes, they are because I have some programs that I have used for years and every now and then it flags them.
    Either the original installation file or another part of the program.

I am checking my logs while doing this and here are a few:

My Cad program .exe file.

You Tube Downloader install file.

Hewlet Packard Imaging .exe file for my scanner

AVG constantly flags my ASUS sound manager and a few others. With AVG I have the flagged files ignored when AVG detects them.

I have them quarantined in MalewareBytes and my programs still work..
    They may be old files left over from an update...Who knows, you just have to be careful and not let deletions take place automatically.

Like I said, AVG does the same thing. AVG flags some pretty important files that I need.
    It deleted a graphics file once and that really messed things up.

Thanks
    Hmm yes, they are all legit programs indeed. Thanks for your post Banyarola, from now on, I better be a bit more cautious, if MalwareBytes ever flags one of my files. I too, set my files to be automatically quarantined, but it never hurts to be vigilant.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Well, you know if it automatically quarantines it then if something depends on it then it wont work.

AVG has this habit of alerting me whenever it feels like and not always during a scan..
    And, it seems always to flag the same file which I then tell it to ignore.

I never liked things being done automatically..Too many problems can arise.

It's the same thing with Flash updates, Adobe updates etc. If you don't opt to do a custom install you can end up with all kinds of things you didn't want.

With Adobe you have to check the NOTIFY BEFORE INSTALL every time it updates something.

Sometimes I think these constant program updates are solely to install new stuff and not to update the program at all..

They are all one big sneaky bunch..
    It's us against them!

Microsoft constantly tries to install BING and change your home page to Microsoft or MSN or whatever they use.

I think Adobe Flash always tries to install CHROME.

Thanks
    Well, you know if it automatically quarantines it then if something depends on it then it wont work
    You can always restore the file(s) to their original location. That's why the files are quarantined rather than deleted. I have never had Malwarebytes quarantine a needed file in all the years I've used it. I've never seen it happen with AVG either.

Jerry

Thanks
    Well jwit, my log entries obviously dispute what you are saying..

Like I stated above, having it set to notify before deletion or quarantine is, in my opinion, the best and safest way to use MWB, AVG or any other scanning program.

It works for me.

Thanks
    I rarely have anything at all in either my personal Malwarebytes or AVG quarantine lists but I get a ton of files in the PCs I fix. One PC had over 500 objects found by Malwarebytes and not one was a false positive. As I stated, I have yet to come across a Malwarebytes false positive. The only AVG false positives I run across is the utilities from Nirsof that recover passwords and Product keys. I can sort of see why the may be classified as malware in the wrong hands.

Jerry

Thanks
    Well, like I said, almost all of the flagged ones are constant repeats of files I have already chosen to ignore.

As a matter of fact, AVG will sometimes flag the same file even when I am not running a scan.
    It'll just popup from the tray with a warning it found something.

AVG flagged a lot of my video driver files and that caused a mess for me when I mistakenly deleted them.

One in particular was ATAPI.sys
    It has flagged it at least 6 times according to my AVG log..
    That file is for the IDE controller...

I think there is a Trojan named ATAPI.EXE but it flags this one all the time

Anyway, I just don't delete things anymore until I know exactly what they are.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Same issue with AVG

Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post

I have the same issue with AVG, it picks up a lot of false positives on safe programs I've used for years.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A few days ago, for about 3 hours the update to MB's database made it detect ALL the files in the Windows System 32 folder as viruses / malicious programs; and all who had the Pro version with constant monitoring set to automatic quarantine had their windows crashed.. Many had to reinstall Windows. Some were lucky enough to be able to use System Restore to recover. Those who had their MB set to Notify were ok as long as they didn't ok the quarantine. Free users were safe unless they chose to quarantine when they ran a scan. If you're running the paid Pro version , set it to notify on detection rather than auto-quarantine. Check out the Malwarebytes users forum.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to davefrombc For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2014-08-07)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast