Thanks

Outlook 2010 or 2013?

I had run into a couple of issues, and went back and re-set up my machine. Out of habit I installed Office 2010 in toto. I had run Outlook 2013, due to MS Exchange server 2013 liking 2013 better -- or so I was told by my ISP.

1) Is that true? Is there really any advantage to running Outlook 2013 when connecting to MS Exchange 2013?

2) If I do need / decide to install Outlook 2013, can I do so right over Outlook 2010, or will I need to uninstall 2010 first?

3) Are there any "speed-bumps" or issues I will need to be especially watchful of and for?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    1. You might want to ask MS directly about that.

2. It would be best to completely uninstall Office 2010 before install Office 2013. Sometimes there can be issues with both being installed as to what works by default.

3. None that I'm aware of.

I run Office 2013 Pro Plus and love it I like it better then Office 2010 Pro I have.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See Technet - What's new in Outlook 2013 and What's new in Outlook 2013 for users.

I've successfully upgraded from Office 2010 Pro Plus to Office 2013 Pro Plus.

Joe

Thanks
    OK...thanks guys.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Edit: I think what you were saying is that I do NOT need to uninstall...AND I will need to keep the Office 14 folder since I still have have other 2010 apps. Don't mind me, I'm just a little slow...

CB

Without uninstalling Joe? And then, it will have an Office 14 AND Office 15 folder in Program Files, yes? Can I then just delete the Office 14 folder?

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-08-01 at 14:23.

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you install Office 2013 by default the Office 2010 programs will be uninstalled unless you do a custom install. There you can elect to leave Office 2010 installed. Without knowing the contents of the Office 14 folder I have no idea if it can be safely deleted.

Joe

Thanks
    Once I actually thought about it, Joe, I "remembered" that I would have to leave the Office 14 folder since I would be keeping all 2010 progs except Outlook.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...hg.150%29.aspx

According to this, I can keep Office 2010 (Outlook 2010) and everything would work fine. I had about 10 days or so with Outlook 2013. I'm not sure of any real benefits gained by upgrading form 2010 if it is just Outlook and not all of Office. In addition, it seems that MS is moving along an "appearance" path with 2013 that I like even less than the changes from 2007 to 2010. Unless I am missing something, there are few gains for the personal / private user to be found in 2013.

Since my ISP (1and1) has the Outlook converter handy, perhaps I'll for the moment at least, put off the change.

Yes? No?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    The big UI difference is with Outlook. Everything else UI wise is pretty much the same. My preference is to only have the new version installed unless there is a specific requirement for the older version.

Joe

Thanks
    I would probably buy into the "just one version" plan except that I got the Outlook 2013 free from my ISP when I moved over to Exchange server. To upgrade all parts, I'd have to shell out the funds.

Also Joe, it seems that ribbon and QA bar customizations will migrate from 2010 to 2013 via export / import, and rules as well.

Is this so, as far as you can tell?

Regards,
    Chuck

Chuck