4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making a touch screen useful in Windows 7

My work computer is a laptop with a touch screen, and runs Windows 7. I've found the touch screen helpful. I can select windows and click controls, scroll, and in many applications (but not all) I can zoom in and out with the thumb-and-finger "pinch" gesture.

There's just one thing I'd like to do but can't: point to things on the screen more precisely than a finger allows. I've devised the following plan for accomplishing that.

When I touch the screen, a Windows add-on determines how many touchable points are close enough to the point I actually touched that I may have meant to touch them. If there's just one, it proceeds as if I touched that point, even if I didn't hit it exactly. If there's more than one it opens a "magnifying glass" window that shows the possible touchable points at a scale that allows me to select the one I want. When I touch one, it closes the magnifying glass window and proceeds.

Has anyone implemented something like this?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It sounds impossible to me (for an add-on to determine "touchable points" from apps or OS).

Bruce

Thanks
    I agree with Bruce. What is the name of that add-on?
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett