New Lounger
    Thanks

Want to remove xp from triple boot system

This is the current setup I have: Amd phenom 2500 overclocked to 3000, 2 hard drives, first one has xp on 1st partition, Win 7 on second and data on 3rd. second hard drive has 2 partitions, one for backup and another is linux ext4 for Fedora 20. I used easy bcd to modify the windows 7 bootloader so all three OS's boot. At present everything works as it should. I want to remove XP, but the system reserve is on that drive as well as the MBR. I had reduced the size of the xp partition but then win7 backup won't work, but after adding so space back, the win7 backup works again. At this point I'd like to remove the xp partition completely as I never use it. I retained it for one program, but have found an alternative for it that works in win7. I want to eliminate it, but since it has the MBR and system reserve on it, I think I would have boot issues . Can I safely remove it and then try a non-reformat reinstall on win7 and fix the system reserve partition space and MBR. Easy bcd should allow me to then fix the boot menu. I don't want to do a regular reinstall of win7 but do the reinstall that doesn't require the reinstall of programs or settings. I don't have the choice of removing win 7 sp1 from the control panel but I haven't tried to use the command prompt to do it. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You should be able to use that same EasyBCD to remove XP partition.

One of the problems with using the Windows based imaging backup program is that if your bootfiles are located off the Windows 7 partition,
    it will want to back up whatever partition they reside on as well, and often with varying result.
    3rd party drive imaging tools will give you a much clearer choice.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-08-01 at 01:04.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If the system reserve space(partition) is on the partition I'm eliminating , how do I move/reinstall it on the new larger partition. I have minitool partition wizard to manage my partitions, but will windows rebuild a system reserve after it is eliminated for the first partition? If I boot to my win7 recovery disc, will it rebuild the mbr and then successfully boot? I think it should based on prior screwups(don't ask). I know how to then rename the partitions drive letters. Maybe I should use the partition space for storage and not worry about it. It is only 90gb on a 1tb drive. I see your point about windows imaging as it does image my winxp partition because it sees the mbr there.

thanks for the reply, I appreciate it