Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade XP to Windows 7: What version?

I've got a still-capable Dell E510 XP machine that I'd like to upgrade to Win 7 Pro. Perusing the online product offerings, I'm totally confused as to which version is appropriate: full, upgrade, OEM? Don't want to pay any more than I need to but do want to use a legal option. Thanks for any advice you can give me ... also any recommendations for legitimate online sources for Win 7?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    WinXP Professional was the only one to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit. I've upgraded a couple three Dell Inspiron 530 machines and a 531 to Win7 without problem, most of the necessary drivers were built into Win7. Check http://support.dell.com and enter your Service Tag, sticker on the case, if you need drivers.

Win7 install discs are available on the 'net but do check the price, I was offered a copy in an E-Mail where the purchase price was nearly double the $199 MSRP, excuse was they bought it at a higher price. That's not uncommon in the scheme of supply and demand.

You may need the Full version as WinXP can't be upgraded to Win7, has to be a clean install, too many changes between them. However, the Upgrade version may work fine if it is simply a check for a previous version being installed, still have to be a clean install. Be sure to back up any data you created or that exists nowhere else. I did install Win7 Home Premium Upgrade 32-bit on an HP Netbook, works fine.

Your computer may be able to run the 64-bit version of Win7 so that would be the time to change. You will need to check for 64-bit drivers for things like printers, scanners, etc. Some older programs may not work on 64-bit.

Do this on your WinXP first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=20

I've bought from www.directdeals.com and www.royaldiscount.com but again, check the pricing.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-08-02 at 13:52.

Thanks
    Put at least 4GB of RAM in it (it will hold up to 8) and then install Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM. If its running too slow, replace the old 160GB hard drive (spinner) for a SSD.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Didn't want to overload you too much but as to hardware, the 32-bit version can run with 1GB RAM but the 64-bit version needs at least 2GB [System Requirements]. Both versions run better with more, I double the requirement or max what the computer BIOS will support. The 32-bit version of Windows does seem to have issues with more than about 3.5GB but I've not had to delve into that yet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    WinXP Professional was the only one to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit. I've upgraded a couple three Dell Inspiron 530 machines and a 531 to Win7 without problem, most of the necessary drivers were built into Win7. Check http://support.dell.com and enter your Service Tag, sticker on the case, if you need drivers.
    After running the Upgrade Advisor, as you suggest below, the only questionable drivers are for the RADEON X300. I think I have found a compatible driver on the AMD website... I hope! On initial install, will Win 7 boot to a generic VGA until I get the driver updated?

Win7 install discs are available on the 'net but do check the price, I was offered a copy in an E-Mail where the purchase price was nearly double the $199 MSRP, excuse was they bought it at a higher price. That's not uncommon in the scheme of supply and demand.
    I'm seeing prices about $70 for a download of the OEM version of Pro from http://techsupplyking.com/MCW7PRP_013_DL.php that seems legit. I'm legal to use an OEM version, right?

You may need the Full version as WinXP can't be upgraded to Win7, has to be a clean install, too many changes between them. However, the Upgrade version may work fine if it is simply a check for a previous version being installed, still have to be a clean install. Be sure to back up any data you created or that exists nowhere else. I did install Win7 Home Premium Upgrade 32-bit on an HP Netbook, works fine.
    Clean install is apparently the only option according to the upgrade advisor.

Your computer may be able to run the 64-bit version of Win7 so that would be the time to change. You will need to check for 64-bit drivers for things like printers, scanners, etc. Some older programs may not work on 64-bit.
    I think I'll stay with 32 bit to avoid the hassle of additional driver updates.

Done! Thanks!

I've bought from www.directdeals.com and www.royaldiscount.com but again, check the pricing.
    Many thanks, Berton!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Put at least 4GB of RAM in it (it will hold up to 8) and then install Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM. If its running too slow, replace the old 160GB hard drive (spinner) for a SSD.
    Thanks Spyware Dr! I've got 4GB in it now. Not sure if the hardware is capable of 64bit. How can I tell?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Didn't want to overload you too much but as to hardware, the 32-bit version can run with 1GB RAM but the 64-bit version needs at least 2GB [System Requirements]. Both versions run better with more, I double the requirement or max what the computer BIOS will support. The 32-bit version of Windows does seem to have issues with more than about 3.5GB but I've not had to delve into that yet.
    Thanks Berton! I'm using 4GB presently and, as you say, XP is only looking at 3.6GB. Oh well, close enough. I'm tempted to try going the 64 bit route but Upgrade Advisor says I will need to install a 32 bit version and I'm leery about the additional drivers that I may have to track down.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On initial install, will Win 7 boot to a generic VGA until I get the driver updated?
    Yes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes.
    Perfect, thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m.mcguirk View Post
    Not sure if the hardware is capable of 64bit. How can I tell?
    Download the Securable tool from GRC. It will tell you if your CPU is 64-bit capable. As for the other pieces of hardware, try and track down 64-bit drivers for each of them. Only if you can find drivers for ALL of your hardware, should you consider taking the 64-bit route. Else, stick with 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, try upgrading your HDD to a larger size, or if your budget allows it, look into an SSD, for your primary OS drive. Then, you can use your old 160GB drive as a secondary HDD in Win7 for data storage.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Download the Securable tool from GRC. It will tell you if your CPU is 64-bit capable. As for the other pieces of hardware, try and track down 64-bit drivers for each of them. Only if you can find drivers for ALL of your hardware, should you consider taking the 64-bit route. Else, stick with 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, try upgrading your HDD to a larger size, or if your budget allows it, look into an SSD, for your primary OS drive. Then, you can use your old 160GB drive as a secondary HDD in Win7 for data storage.
    I'll be darned, the processor IS capable of 64 bit according to Mr Gibson. Thanks for that link! On the other hand, it is an old machine running an old scanner and printer... I suspect I better stick with 32 bit and avoid the hassle of trying to find 64 bit drivers. Thanks KritzX!

PS And, yes, I will look into a larger HDD. Thanks.
    Last edited by m.mcguirk; 2014-08-02 at 15:21. Reason: added PS

Thanks
    Happy to help. Let us know how the upgrade goes.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll be darned, the processor IS capable of 64 bit according to Mr Gibson. Thanks for that link! On the other hand, it is an old machine running an old scanner and printer... I suspect I better stick with 32 bit and avoid the hassle of trying to find 64 bit drivers. Thanks KritzX!

PS And, yes, I will look into a larger HDD. Thanks.
    Did you have the scanner and printer connected when you ran the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor as it instructs ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Did you have the scanner and printer connected when you ran the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor as it instructs ?
    Yes, I did and Upgrade Advisor gave them a "?" saying the were unknown and compatibility info was not available. I suspect that means they are so old that they have dropped off the MS database.

I have not yet gone to manufacturers' websites to search for Win 7 drivers.

Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I did and Upgrade Advisor gave them a "?" saying the were unknown and compatibility info was not available. I suspect that means they are so old that they have dropped off the MS database.

I have not yet gone to manufacturers' websites to search for Win 7 drivers.

Thanks!
    It's just that in 2010 I bought an Epson SX425W All in One that required downloading a patch from Epson during its CD installation to make it compatible with Win 7, so even if there are 32 and 64 bit drivers for the scanner and printer, they may not be for Win 7 - which is why I asked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast