Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It's just that in 2010 I bought an Epson SX425W All in One that required downloading a patch from Epson during its CD installation to make it compatible with Win 7, so even if there are 32 and 64 bit drivers for the scanner and printer, they may not be for Win 7 - which is why I asked.
    I just checked the support websites for the Canon iP6600D and Epson Perfection 2400 and it looks like Win 7 drivers and updated utility software is available. So I think I'm good to go.

  2. #17
    3 Star Lounger KritzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m.mcguirk View Post
    I just checked the support websites for the Canon iP6600D and Epson Perfection 2400 and it looks like Win 7 drivers and updated utility software is available. So I think I'm good to go.
    Are these 32-bit or 64-bit drivers?
    Fact of Life:

    “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

  3. #18
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Are these 32-bit or 64-bit drivers?
    Both were available.

  4. #19
    3 Star Lounger KritzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    So are you going to move on to 64-bit Windows 7?
    Fact of Life:

    “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

  5. #20
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    So are you going to move on to 64-bit Windows 7?
    I'm planning to stick with 32 bit. Just afraid of running into more complications than I want to deal with.

    Also... still not sure about the validity of using an OEM version of the software and worried about resulting activation issues. Any thoughts?

  6. #21
    3 Star Lounger KritzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m.mcguirk View Post
    I'm planning to stick with 32 bit. Just afraid of running into more complications than I want to deal with.

    Also... still not sure about the validity of using an OEM version of the software and worried about resulting activation issues. Any thoughts?
    Keep in mind, that any OEM version you purchase will ALWAYS be tied to that particular machine. That is, if your machine dies one day (I hope not!), you cannot use that version of Windows 7 with any other machine. I'd follow Berton's suggestion in Post #2 and go either the Upgrade or Full install route. Going the Upgrade route may be cost-effective, but be COMPLETELY sure that your version of XP supports an Upgrade to Windows 7. If it does, you can most definitely go with an Upgrade. Else, go for the full version. Just make sure you backup all your data.
    Fact of Life:

    “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

  7. #22
    3 Star Lounger KritzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    Oops sorry, I forgot about the activation dilemma. Yes, you are likely to get activation issues in the OEM version, but ONLY if you try to install Win 7 on a different PC (or make significant hardware changes to your current PC), if your current PC dies. Unlike with an Upgrade or Full version, you cannot deactivate the Win 7 on one PC and install it on another. If you don't ever plan on doing this, then get an OEM version. Otherwise, stick with the other 2 choices.

    There's a reason the OEM version is so low-priced, eh?
    Fact of Life:

    “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

  8. #23
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Keep in mind, that any OEM version you purchase will ALWAYS be tied to that particular machine. That is, if your machine dies one day (I hope not!), you cannot use that version of Windows 7 with any other machine. I'd follow Berton's suggestion in Post #2 and go either the Upgrade or Full install route. Going the Upgrade route may be cost-effective, but be COMPLETELY sure that your version of XP supports an Upgrade to Windows 7. If it does, you can most definitely go with an Upgrade. Else, go for the full version. Just make sure you backup all your data.
    Yes, I'm aware of the limitations on the OEM version... one computer. So far, I have not found an "upgrade" version of Win 7 anywhere online. I'll keep looking. It seems just about everybody sells the OEM and Full versions but I haven't yet seen an "upgrade" version.

    Oh, wait, when you say "be COMPLETELY sure that your version of XP supports an Upgrade to Windows 7" are you referring to an in-place upgrade vs a clean install? I do know that XP to Win 7 must be a clean install.

    Thanks very much for sticking with me on this!

  9. #24
    3 Star Lounger KritzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    Oops, silly me, I meant clean install. Yes, the Upgrade CD can be used to perform a clean install on XP. If you want, you can check out this article:

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...7-version.html
    Fact of Life:

    “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

  10. #25
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Oops, silly me, I meant clean install. Yes, the Upgrade CD can be used to perform a clean install on XP. If you want, you can check out this article:

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...7-version.html
    OK, thank you. I'll check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •