New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 PC settings nonfunctional

I'm trying to open the PC settings app from either Control Panel, Start page or desktop. When I open from the Start page using the Settings charm and then clicking on the Change PC Settings option . . The settings app opens up a purple screen and immediately closes to an icon on the task bar of the desktop . . and the screen for the desktop is now on top. clicking on the PC Settings icon on the task bar simply repeats the open and close routine.
    The same sequence happens no matter which beginning point I select to open the PC Settings app. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/ima...ies/mellow.gif

Hey . . all I want to do now is to change my avatar. . . not blow away my system!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK . . . many thanks to the responders above.
    Here is what I've done and what the results have been;

1. As suggested, I ran sfc /scannow and waited and waited for the results. The results declaration stated there were some files that failed and could not be restored. the .log file was 4 and some megs large and listed failures that I had no idea how to interpret!

2. I did then try to run the other Start screen apps with the following results:
    PC settings, Maps, Music, Camera, Store, Bing Translator, Reading List, Help and Tips and People were all non functional. As you can see, I have not used or feel the need to use the Start apps. However, They are most likely a very good indication of a very bad Windows 8.1 install.

3. NO . . .I haven't run Refresh or Reset. . . .being forced to run either of these two programs is a very good reason for switching to Apple. I have no interest in saving my data ans starting all over again from near ground zero and HOPE that Microsoft can get its act together.

As background I should state that this is a desktop 64 bit quad processor based system that was purchased with win 7 as its OS, then upgraded to win 8 pro and finally to win 8.1.

3. I did go to advanced Recovery Tools to see if I could run PC Settings from that corner of the OS. . . . the answer was NO!

4. I didn't even try to locate and restore the Start app icons as suggested as there simply was too much that isn't working to make that a viable solution.

5. As for third party S/W being the cause for such dysfunction, I don't have nView installed.

6. I have not as of yet looked at the thread covering upgrading to Win 8.1 to fix the broken PC Settings Link. . . . . with so many broken links this might be a wait of time. However, I will give that thread a try.

Thanks to all for your time and thoughts.

Thanks
    1. Did you try accessing System Setting in Safe mode suggested in Bruce's link? If that works, try the Clean Boot diagnostic procedure:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

2. Did you try System Restore as suggested in Bruce's link?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I stated, both restore and reset are procedures that are just too disruptive to the machine's usage. Sure I might get a fully operative OS, but at WHAT cost! spending the time to re-install the user apps. Just too much of a risk that it may or may not work any better then.

No I haven't tried the Safe mode; but will give it a try the next time that I boot the machine.

As far as I can tell, my only dysfunction is the loss of most of the Start screen related apps . . and who uses them anyway. That being the case, I may just wait for MS to totally wash out my desktop their attempt to fix this problem and switch to Apple.

I'll let you all know what happens in Safe Mode . . . .thanks again

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK . . I'm now in a clean boot environment. Guess what . . . .?

So is my problem. . . . .most all of the Start Screen apps are non functional just as before.

Ain't this stuff so much fun?

Thanks
    If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then its most likely a Windows problem. How long have you been having this problem?

Try running a full system scan with Windows Defender, to eliminate the possibility of malware.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No idea how long the problems has been with me. I simply have never forced my way into the Start Screen environment. I've been happy a cat poop on the desktop.
    So now that I'm ready to become a convert to the full win 8.1 niceties, MS has a surprise for me . . not much has really change with windows. there seems to be no end to their development cycle(s).

when I decide to leave this clean environment, I'll go into Safe Mode. Are there any suggestions for what I might do once there other than prove that I've yet another MS glitch to find and resolve.

Sound like this is making feel more at home back in my nicely function desktop environment.

Thanks
    I'm just shooting in the dark here, but try running a full system scan with Windows Defender in Safe Mode.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    As I stated, both restore and reset are procedures that are just too disruptive to the machine's usage. Sure I might get a fully operative OS, but at WHAT cost! spending the time to re-install the user apps. Just too much of a risk that it may or may not work any better then.
    System Restore (not Refresh or Reset) just sets the OS state to what it was at a previous date you select. You only have to reinstall the apps the were installed after the System Restore date. If the System Restore doesn't fix the problem, You can always undo it.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel and click Control Panel in the Search results

Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and click Recovery.

Click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

JERRY

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry . . but after finding the problem in the native OS as of operating in clean mode, would this prove anything. And where to select a restore point when all of the start up application are not the problem?
    I think could lead me all the way back to the change over to 8.1 or maybe all the way back to the install of 8.0.

I'd have no idea where to break in as I have no idea how long the Start Screen apps have been non players. . . I simply don't use them. I say it again and I hope this doesn't discourage you all from trying to help, I have what amounts to a very stable win 8.1 OS that runs all the applications very well and very reliably. It simply will not play well with MS generated Start Screen apps and who cares.

Im working on the assumption that if it isn't broken, for my purposes, then why fix it. Yes, curiosity does play a major role in both my efforts to fix it and you all in trying to help.

But isn't time for MS to join the game?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you change the account picture by clicking your name at the top right of the start screen or is it broken there too?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce et. al.

. . it is broken no matter where you try to start PC settings etc.

I just completed checking the function in Safe Mode of operation. . . still does not work.

It seems to me that there is a deeper issue that is beyond my efforts and maybe even those of this forum.

The problem seems to rest with the MS OS and the Start Screen apps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce

Sorry I didn't fully answer your query. . . . I tried clicking on the avatar . . no it simply brings up a non-functional blank screen, dumps me back on the Desktop with the P C Settings icon on the Task Bar .. .empty!