Thanks

Data transfer from old XP drives to Win7x64 system

I finally got the time to upgrade my computer hardware, and at the same time upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Pro (64).
    I removed the 4 hard drives I had accumulated with XP and installed two new 1-TB drives; now I'm trying to move the data from the XP drives over to the new drives; I'm using a rosewill hdd dock, connecting via USB cable to a USB hub (the only practical connection available) so it's taking longer than I'd like, but I am having permissions issues as well.

In the past when I would copy data from one XP drive to another, it was easy enough to change permissions on the old drive so the files would move without any real trouble. But I think I've added one or two kinks into the process by changing Windows versions, as well as going from 32-bit to 64-bit.

If I get a message while moving files indicating that the file or files are not movable because I don't have ownership, I go through the usual process of changing ownership; only when I get to the Owner tab, the only entry listed is for the 'new' computer and it's greyed out; I then go to the Edit button; go to Other Users or Groups; click the Advanced button; click Find Now; and seledt the Administrator (as opposed to Administrators) for the computer, check the box to replace the owner on subfolders as well, and click on OK.

Everything seems to work fine, until I get an inevitable "error" message indicating that Access is denied for any number of objects within the current folder, meaning I cannot change ownership on some, but not all, files.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to what I can or cannot change permissions on - some photos but not others, when they were all added at the same time and come from the same camera; some Word documents but not others, also from the same version of Word and created at basically the same point in time; I'm not trying to move over any applications from Program Files - all i want to do is preserve a ton of files of all sorts that I've accumulated over the decade or so during which I was using XP. All these files in question are mine - and I don't want to lose any of them if at all possible.
    Is there a step or steps I'm not aware of that I need to take in order to move these files off of the old drives? Is the change from 32-bit to 64-bit to blame? And if so, what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

(I'd include a screenshot or two, but I don't have any screencap software loaded yet.)
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Probably using TakeOwnership can help with the permissions problems: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2014-08-03)

Thanks
    That certainly appears to have done the trick - thank you, ruirib!!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djmoore View Post
    That certainly appears to have done the trick - thank you, ruirib!!
    You're welcome .
    Rui
    -------
    R4