Thanks

Word 2000 - Compatibility Mode - Win 7 Pro x64 - Ctrl-V to Paste Special Unformatted Text

Call me a Luddite, but I'm still using Word 2000 (9.0.2720) in compatibility mode under Windows 7 Pro x64 as my word processor

Since moving from XP/Pro I've not been able to use Ctrl-V to copy text from web pages and paste them into a Word document to avoid capturing hypertext links and table formatting.

I find it curious that Ctrl-V still works when I compose an email in Mozilla SeaMonkey (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26.1)

Back in Win98 days I bought Woody's book and learned a lot about Word Basic. I wrote some fairly sophisticated editing macros. Then came Win 3.1 and the Excel folks at Microsoft insisted that all macros be programmed using Visual Basic. I tried but I found that it was too abstract to remember on those occasions when I tried to use it. I'm sure it makes sense to those with degrees in Computer Science and Programming but for my occasional use the rewards are just not worth the effort.

Might the solution be as simple as going back to my old OS/Programs drive and finding the normal.dot file that worked under XP and copying it over the one I find myself stuck with under Windows 7? I think I tried that a while back and somehow it didn't work. I know that it didn't work today when I tried to move a font I liked under XP just by copying the *.ttf file and moving it to the corresponding folder in Windows 7.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ctrl+C is used to Copy which puts the selected data in the Clipboard then Ctrl+V puts that item in the program that is open. Later versions of Word can actually hold more items in its Clipboard which may be why the Windows Ctrl+V doesn't work with the Word Clipboard and I'd wonder if there's possibly an issue with older versions of Word/Office on newer Operating Systems, or in other words Windows disables its Clipboard in favor of Word when its open.

I tried to move a font I liked under XP just by copying the *.ttf file and moving it to the corresponding folder in Windows 7
    My experience has always been that a Font has to be Installed, not just copied.

Thanks

My Error - My Problems Is/Was With CTRL-SHIFT-V

Thank you Burton for your reply.

One day I will learn to to post questions when I am tired and frustrated.

The key combination I should have cited is CTRL-SHIFT-V. Clearly I'd assigned a macro to "Paste Special Unformatted Text" to this key combination. Recently every time I tried to use it the interface for Visual Basic opened and I was at a loss for what to do next.

I did a bit of due diligence and found a 2007 version of Normal.dot. I carefully renamed the Normal.dot that was troubling me to Normal.old and copied the 2007 version in its place and my problem was solved. The CTRL-SHIFT-V I'd learned to use habitually now works.

If I have a *.ttf file can I install it, or do I need an installation routine file to do the install? Perhaps I should post this as a 'new topic' so it is easy for others to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Ctrl+C is used to Copy which puts the selected data in the Clipboard then Ctrl+V puts that item in the program that is open. Later versions of Word can actually hold more items in its Clipboard which may be why the Windows Ctrl+V doesn't work with the Word Clipboard and I'd wonder if there's possibly an issue with older versions of Word/Office on newer Operating Systems, or in other words Windows disables its Clipboard in favor of Word when its open.

My experience has always been that a Font has to be Installed, not just copied.
    Baumgrenze

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I have a *.ttf file can I install it, or do I need an installation routine file to do the install?
    I usually just double-click a Font that is not installed and then click the Install just above the preview panel.

In Control Panel, Fonts double-click one listed you can't get to work, should give that Install button if not installed or it will be dimmed if it is installed.

Perhaps I should post this as a 'new topic' so it is easy for others to find
    Yes, if you don't get a resolution.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-08-04 at 14:33.

Thanks

Font Install Problem Resolved, Too!

Thanks again, Berton, that was fast like Superman!

I just sat down to share this. I found this suggestion via a Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?num=50....0.7yiF3zsU554

where this was hit #4.

www.cskt.org/documents/how_to_install_font.pdf

I copied the font from an old disk (L to the root on my OS disk (C and then tried, using Windows Explorer to paste it into the Windows 7 fonts folder. I was told I needed administrative privileges and once I OK'd that the file was there and it works in Word.

Perhaps this is an alternative. I did it because the 'cskf.org' link above suggests an interim move to the desktop or similar environment.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I usually just double-click a Font that is not installed and then click the Install just above the preview panel.

In Control Panel, Fonts double-click one listed you can't get to work, should give that Install button if not installed or it will be dimmed if it is installed.

Yes, if you don't get a resolution.
    Baumgrenze

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.